Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Year, A New Me?



It is officially 2010. Although I rang in the New Year with my family in Puerto Rico and toasted the New Year on Sunday night with Peter, bay scallops, and a wonderful bottle of Marchesa Prosecco, it was the return to my routine yesterday that marked the New Year for me.

My team at work engaged in some thorough "twenty-ten planning" over the past couple of months to gear up for the start of the New Year. I felt poised, ready and raring to go on the job front yesterday. With all this work related planning though, I forgot to do any personal 2010 planning. I used my routine run yesterday to brainstorm on how I could put some of the great pieces of advice I received over the past couple of days to use in 2010.

NPR, the visiting priest at St. Peter's and Paul of Naperville, my family and boyfriend, and my friend Meredith each offered some words of wisdom to me over the past 4 days, which will shape how I want to approach this new year. I have provided the long and short versions below, because sometimes my readers just want to get straight to the point ; )

1. As I mentioned before, my family and I were in Puerto Rico during the change from 2009 to 2010. During a great and relaxing week, there were many opportunities for competitive sport. Whether it was on the volleyball court or running trail, during a silly paddle ball game or hearts game, in the pool, kitchen, or at the dining room table. There were many opportunities where one could claim (if one won) that he or she was the champion of the world. I had to tell myself over and over again:

"I don't need to have the most knowledge on a subject"

"It doesn't matter if I lose a card game"

"There are other people that can cook very well in my family"

"It's okay if I didn't complete the longest list of activities for the day."

When I lost, which seemed to happen a lot on this particular vacation, my ego was bruised and I wanted to take it out on my competitor. (I am still working on the whole concept of friendly competition - for me it has always been more like I-hate-you-if-you-beat-me competition.) With nudging and coaching here and there from my boyfriend, my inner competitive demon starting to fade through the week though. Basically, he has taught me that there's no need to be #1 in a family, because ultimately your family doesn't love you for winning, they love you for playing. I believe in 2010, I will make major strides in putting Competo to rest.

Less fierce competition, more friendly play.


2. I talked to my friend Meredith last night who had some great advice. She told me in so many words that I should enjoy every moment and not worry about the next. She said sometimes when you start looking at your peers, you feel the pressure to be like them, have the same things as them, look like them. However, each of us have unique situations and what's right for one person is probably all wrong for the other person. So don't make life a competition - there is no starting point and finish line. You will win regardless if you are happy through each stage. Such great advice.

Life is not a competition.

3. NPR provided my third bit of advice. They showcased a story about a man with a debilitating disease called spinal muscular atrophy yesterday on their morning show. Most with his disease don't live past the age of 4, but he has thrived. He turned 47 this year, has his own family, and is a successful writer in LA who is working on a memoir. He spoke yesterday about how, at the start of this new year, he isn't so much looking ahead, but looking back on 2009 which sincere thankfulness. He said although nothing really exciting happened in 2009, it was a year that was "blessedly drama free," which in his life means a lot. No medical complications, hospital visits, or extremely stressful situations. He ended his remarks by saying sometimes being normal is good enough. I was struck by this comment immediately, and couldn't agree with it more.

Being normal is great.

4. Finally, in mass on Sunday, a visiting priest talked about the celebration of Epiphany in a great way. He spoke about those that wander in the desert, and how they do so at night, because they can navigate better guided by astronomy. The Three Kings were guided by a particularly bright star that led them to the baby Jesus. The priest said that in this day and age, we are called to be lights for others. We are meant to be beacons for people who have lost their way or need some direction. Although, the application from mass is to guide people to the Church, I want to take this into the secular realm as well. I want to very happy and satisfied in 2010 no matter what, because I have been very blessed, and help show others how to be happy as well.

Happiness is the beacon I want to shed.

So in 2010 I am not looking to catapult my personage into the next level of excellence. I am trying to just be happy old me. The me that I know, my family and boyfriend knows, and my lifelong friends know. I have nagging strains that want to be bigger and better than everyone else at everything that I do, but my goal this new year, is to be satisfied with what I have been given, become comfortable and thankful for being normal, and let my satisfaction and smile be a beacon for those that are less happy.

Happy New Year,

Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment