The communications team for my organization, my team, is charged with building, protecting and enhancing our brand. The goal is to unify a far-reaching system of Chapters and programs under one global mark, in complementary creative styling, and with a 'look and feel' that is synonymous with our mission. We encourage our system to properly consider our branding when developing creative collateral, engaging potential donors online, organizing event fundraisers, and building strategic relationships. Although, we have compiled a cache of templates, best practices, and arguments, there are still some Chapters looking to take the path less traveled - they want to experiment a little, and see if there isn't a better way to interpret the brand.
For the most part, our Chapters have embraced the unifying logo, but the whole 'look and feel' part of our branding has left room for some grass roots interpretation. Like any person, a Chapter wants a unique identity - It wants a look of its own. This is readily possible because our namesake program is a House. Each one has a different shape and size. It has different architecture, decor, landscaping, services and staffing. Each House has its own character and community-cued style, and much of the identity of the local Chapter's brand comes from this brick and mortar structure. We embrace it, and as my manager said yesterday, "it's more about the feel, anyway." Even though the House images might change throughout the World, the mission, character, and compassion of our brand remain in tact and unmistakable.
This week while building an argument for the look and feel of an organizational Facebook page, I took a detour on the popular social networking site to review some photos from last weekend. On my page, I can be seen donning a new Elie Tahari asymmetric black dress for an engagement party. This dress was the result of a recent craving to consume, and I'm not talking about the edible, rather the wearable. My craving started around Christmas when I hit the six month mark of shopping-depravation, but recently the fire was refueled due to several tax-season driven factors.
First came my very handsome tax refund, made possible by my Dad-doesn't-have-to-do-my-taxes-anymore, big-girl accountant. The craving was enhanced when the DOW hit 11,000 points and my company's stock reached $70. Though not yet an investor, it was signal enough that there was wealth to spend. Then, the Sex and the City 2 trailer hit YouTube and I proceeded to watch it about 30 times in a row. In its two minute length, there are perhaps 500 astounding costume changes, and I enviously compared the 40-something year-old characters' fresh wardrobes to my haven't gone shopping in a YEAR stale one.
So on Sunday - post Mass and Red Mango (my version of Sunday brunch) and before preparation of the dinner for two menu du jour - I gave into my craving after unsuccessfully trying to concentrate on my novel, A Reliable Wife. (I had just revealed that Catherine's rich suitor would send her to the big city of St. Louis to adjust her wardrobe for her new role in society - yep, I'm out.)
Since I didn't want to drive into the big city of Chicago, I thought the next best and more cost-efficient thing was to venture to Aurora - land of corn fields, a great Mexican restaurant and a pretty amazing outlet mall. They are not just Prime in Aurora, they are Premium. That means discount Armani, Ferragamo, Theory, Barney's, St. John, Kate Spade, Hugo Boss, and my downfall for the day, Elie Tahari.
As I approached, I realized I wasn't the only one attempting to break free from a state of consumer-withdrawal. Apparently, everyone got a tax refund this year and was trying to bring their media-driven fantasies to life. I literally had to park in said corn fields, beyond the parking lots because it was so crowded!
I meandered in and out of stores for a while - deeming some too crowded, chaotic, and cheap and others too quiet, stuffy, and expensive (yes, a $2500 suit discounted by 30% is still a $1750 suit.) Until ... I set foot in Elie Tahari - this one seemed to be just right. Great clothes, lots of 'good buys', and a moderate amount of buzz still to spark the shopping atmosphere.
"Can I help you find anything?" said the nice sales lady.
Hmmm ... I actually didn't know what I was looking for. As I shrugged her off with an "I'm just looking," I realized what I wanted. I had grown tired of my previously blogged about 'uniform' that I tend to wear to work everyday. And being told that wearing Wellies to work during the slushy season is not professional, was still fresh in a my mind. So I decided, that I was on a mission to build up my work wardrobe in order to better complement the company I work for, the role I perform, and where I want to go. In essence, this was part of my branding at this stage of my lifespan. I had to set a new tone for the look and feel of my personage.
Now, as a side note, I have been through many different looks in my twenties.
I've been both the butch and refined jock. Butch jock wore shorts in 30-degree South Bend weather, because my bulging thighs didn't fit into my pants anymore due to over-consumption of beer and Papa John's bread sticks, and one too many presses on the leg press machine. Refined jock, newly slenderized from muscle deterioration while studying abroad, wore high waisted J.Crew jeans, a rainbow of different colored cardigans, and Anne Klein loafers, while swearing off imbibing for fear of the sum of alcohol, munchies and weight lifting.
Then there was the blond party girl phase, which ended up turning into raven-haired party girl phase with a hint of stress-out, directionless, relatively miserable, over-worked restaurant manager that showed up in the dark circles under my eyes.
My transition look ensued, which combined the light and dark of previous years. It also brought bangs, which were a pretty heinous mistake. Not really sure what lay next in my life, I decided to embrace all my former looks in one.
In business school year 1 - I wore a lot of hats - enough said.
In business school year 2 - I embraced academia and was more or less a prepster - headbands, Sperry Topsiders, jumpers, button down shirts tucked into high-waisted pants.
In this business professional era of my life, I have decided that Theory and now Elie Tahari are my labels of choice. An edgy take on the tailored classics, that are muted and neutral, yet sophisticated and unique. Ahh ... just want I want to be in the working world at this stage of my career. So one friendly sales woman, led to a never-ending inventory of adorable dresses made for the day-to-night section of In Style magazine, a great time in the dressing room, and the paradox of guilty satisfaction when the same friendly sales woman swiped my Blue Cash American Express Card and wrapped my new dresses in plastic.
As I sauntered down Premium Outlet row, past others that were equally proud of their new purchases, that they believed might help enhance their persona, 2010, I was beaming. I called the boyfriend and alerted him of my great success and the fashion show that would be coming soon to a living room near him. His enthusiasm stemmed from mine - he was happy that I was happy. I have realized over the past couple years, that although he appreciates my outward appearance, it's not what makes me, Me. It's my character - that 'feel' that makes me who I am and is what my boyfriend loves. Sometimes my attempt at the well-dressed work 'look' turns to the 'feel' of a kind-of-unhappy, stress-embracing, can't-turn-it-off young business professional that my boyfriend doesn't like.
My Grandma and Grandpa used to always tell me as I was saying my goodbyes on their porch at 719 Forrest Avenue, 'Always stay as happy as you are.' I thought it was an odd comment at the time - like, why wouldn't I stay happy?! The ironic thing is though, there have been a couple times when I lost my genuine happiness, and in turn, kind of lost myself. My overly optimistic, enthusiastic, energetic and fun-loving essence is a big part of my brand. Through my many looks I should have concentrated on my 'feel' a little more - and that 'feel' is happiness. The sullen pouts, fatigue, and disinterest of the models and media is not me. As long as I have a smile on my face and laughter in my heart (and keep my look within certain parameters - i.e. don't pierce and tattoo every inch of my body, gain 100 pounds, or wear chintzy clothing) my boyfriend, family, friends, and co-workers will think I look amazing.
A smile is the best thing you can put on everyday. My organization knows this sentiment well - as long as our Chapters embrace compassion every day, they embrace the essence of our brand. The look part will come with maturity.
Little Orphan Annie said it the best ~ "You're never fully dressed without a Smile!"
Lo




No comments:
Post a Comment