Saturday, October 23, 2010

What to Wear?

Tonight is our annual Awards of Excellence Gala. It's a black-tie fundraiser that includes dinner, an auction, the big award presentations, and live entertainment from Richard Marx and Olivia Newton John.

I have two roles this evening:  
I will play Miss Awards of Excellence and hand out the 20-pound crystal awards to the three recipients. I did this last year and thankfully didn't fall flat on my face on the stage a la Medallion Ball. I wore a purple dress, so for reference later on, I can't wear that again. 
Tonight, I am also escorting one of the recipients, founder and former CEO of Southwest Airlines, Herb Kelleher throughout the evening. 

One of the first management case studies you evaluate in business school is that of Southwest Airlines under the leadership of Herb Kelleher. This is seriously a dream come true for any business student. I get to spend about twelve hours with one of the most influential business leader's of the 20th century - a pioneer in the aviation industry, a man who redefined our notion of corporate culture, and a CEO who honored, respected, cared for and protected his employees regardless of their title or position, inspiring them to treat their customers the same way. 

So ... what does a lowly corporate communicator say or do in front of this titan of American industry? And better yet ... what do I wear???

Remember how I told you I have a boring closet and a fun closet filled with all my party dresses? Well, I am dipping into the latter tonight. But the problem is finding a dress to match the mantras and ideals of this revolutionary executive and simultaneously demonstrate that I can casually swagger like a humble cowboy.

Let's see ... Here are some his ideals:  

"Communicate, communicate, communicate, but not in corporate speak." 
No boring little black Theory dress tonight. No organizational behavior jargon either.  

"Treat the customers like family."
When I first met The Boyfriend's extended family at a wedding in New York City dressed in Milly, I felt like I was part of their inner circle. I was part of the family. Maybe Milly? It is kind of tight though and might not bring out the cowgirl in me.  
Diane Von Furstenberg complained on one of his flights and said she didn't like the ambiance. NOT wearing one of her dresses.

"The key to being a great leader is humility."
Not wearing the low cut brown BCBG dress or the too short yellow Tibi dress. This should be about putting my best foot forward, not about putting other assets forward. 
"All airlines have airplanes, but it's the intangibles that are less easy to replicate." I guess all I need is my smile and the confidence to be myself. (All girls can dance, but not all girls can dance by themselves.)
"Strive for a spiritual fusion of fun, warmth and hospitality."
I think I got it ...  I bought a Susan Wong dress last year that has a fun frill, a satin lining to keep me warm, and enough give in the material to make me full of hospitality all night long. It's also a great shade of red that will complement the LUV of Southwest Airlines.

Herb, thank you for being an inspiration to the hopeful business leaders of tomorrow and for supporting Ronald McDonald House Charities for over 25 years. 
Lo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment