In Starbucks ...
Have you seen her?
Did you see her dress?
She looks beautiful!
On Facebook ...
Watching the Royal Wedding with a traditional English breakfast!
Love the dress!
Hey Jack, do you want to watch with me?
No thanks, I've seen Sleeping Beauty like 10 times!
In my apartment building the yummy mummies of Naperville actually had a Royal Wedding Watch - hats and all!
I opened my Yahoo! account to check my email, and of course, all the rotating promo boxes were of Kate - Kate in the car, Kate's bridesmaid holding her dress, Kate waving, Kate, Kate, Kate! So I took a look. I clicked through. And I looked her up and down.
Gorgeous.
Perfect.
Jealousy boiled up.
There is a reason that I don't read fashion magazines anymore. There is a reason I don't watch that much TV. Basically, I hate seeing the perfection of all the beautiful people out there. Their perfect skin, physiques, smiles, nails, hair, clothes, and postures. It just makes me want to bite my nails even more. And the reason I avoided this perfect person in particular, is that her perfection is particularly unfair. That is, she is the girl in the world that really will get to be a pretty, pretty princess.
A princess that lives in a castle.
A princess that vacations in other people's castles.
A princess that doesn't have to run to the grocery store at the last minute because she forgot the 14-ounce cans of diced tomatoes.
A princess that doesn't get stressed out working for her Charity of Choice.
A princess that doesn't care if her prince is balding.
A princess that gets to wear hats and gloves everyday without being scrutinized for it.
A princess that can have whatever Greek Food Festival staple that she is craving delivered any time of the day.
A princess that looks beautiful all the time - awake and asleep.
You see - it's unfair. And in comparison I feel like I will be a lowly bourgeois suburbanite for the rest of my days while Kate gets to wave, sip high tea, crash champagne bottles, get serenaded by Elton John, wear Stella McCartney couture, hang out with the Beckhams, and produce more princesses. More princesses that will make my little girls just as jealous I'm sure.
But to be a good sport - and to help all the little girls out there feel proud and happy that they most likely will never become Royals - here's what's good about being an American plain Jane.
- You get to take the calories saved from skipping high tea and deposit them in a glass of wine or two each evening.
- If you get a little tipsy off said glass of wine or two, no one will care.
- Because you can't get Greek Food Festival delivery anytime you want, you will learn to make your own spanakopita (yep family, that's on the menu tonight.)
- You can invest all the time you save from primping and posing into your sense of humor.
- And guess what, even though you're not going to be a princess (or duchess or any other royal label), you'll still get your own Prince Charming. And if you're as lucky as me - your Prince Charming won't be balding. He'll be brewing.
You know, I think Kate is gorgeous, but I'm also happy that she is a gorgeous girl next door type. Really, Lo, I think you and her look kind of similar.
ReplyDeleteAnd, as Elizabeth Taylor was quoted in People Magazine recently (source of high quality news)- Elizabeth had everything - good looks, wealth, fame - but she paid a price with heartache and sickness, just like Princess Di.
Nothing wrong with being a commoner - especially one that has so much going for her like you :)
you and she. doh.
ReplyDeleteDear Lo,
ReplyDeleteI was thinking...yes, her dress is beautiful. And she looks happy. But I would think of it this way...on September 3rd, you can glide down the aisle (looking like a princess!), safe in knowing that rather than inspiring jealousy (that green-eyed monster) throughout the world, YOU will be basking in the glow of reflected happiness, surrounded by family & friends who are genuine in their joy and love for you and the fiance...and you can rest assured that everyone there watching you has played a role, large or small, in making you who you are today--beautiful, smart, and successful!
So smile a little today in gratitude for your Prince, your family, and your friends, who all can't wait to share in your happy day!
love,
Your cousin :-)
Lauren -- what you fail to realize, is that Princess is something hidden within, and my dear, the reason I messaged you is that, well, from you Devils Wear Prada mentor, you are a princess. The real kind. So, find a kinship in Kate. I thought of YOU and you are interchangeable. Find your inner princess, or perhaps, just find the confidence to release her. Because, she is there. And as graceful, and glassy, and down to earth as Duchess Kate. And, my dear, I look forward to McD's at the afterparty! NOTHING about you is common. Remember that. Ask your fiancee; and BELIEVE him. You are never in danger of being overly confident; but, be confident, that you ARE already a princess; AND even better your prince knows it. :) :D. Lotsa love, Jen
ReplyDeleteThank you for the wonderful words friends!! I'm feeling royally happy as a loved, uncommon commoner today. ; )
ReplyDelete