Growing up, I never really understood why eating fish on Fridays during Lent was a sacrifice. After all, some of my favorite meals were meatless. I would take my Dad's linguine with clam sauce or salmon croquettes over a petite filet any day of the week.
However, about four years ago, while Peter and I were going through our first Lent together, I came to understand that for some, a day without meat can be a challenge. See, I am married to the ultimate carnivore and the ultimate fish snob. He prefers when dinner is bestial. And if the animal on his plate was once a swimmer, he likes it best when his skiff and line were its predator. So Lenten fish Fridays in the land locked city of Naperville have never come with much anticipation.
In the great Midwest, land of beef and butchers, dinner tends to come au jus. This week alone, I entertained requests for steak, stuffed pork chops and short ribs, which were each consumed with an eager eye and a salivating mouth.
But yesterday, when my response to Peter's 4:00 PM text, asking 'what's for dinner,' was 'halibut,' I didn't receive an enthusiastically hungry response. I wasn't about to let it defeat me though. I was determined to create an entree that might actually be requested outside of the Friday in Lent window.
I drew on inspiration from the fish that was served by the Fairmont on our wedding day, Halibut with an Herb Pave. I roasted it with a molded, herb and bread crumb crust until it was just done.
It was well received, and as always, Peter and I donned our stripes as VIPs of the clean plate club.
But naturally, as soon as I mentioned that I wanted to try making pulled pork tamales on Sunday night, the carnivore's thoughts went straight back to swine.
In other Lenten news, I've gone six days without an alcoholic beverage and without looking at a recipe. I'm actually rethinking the whole wine helps me cook better theory. Now I'm about to test if a wineless Friday helps my long Saturday runs. Ready, set, GO!
Lo.
Halibut with an Herb Pave
2 5-ounce pieces of halibut
Juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus a drizzle of it for the fish
1/2 cup homemade bread crumbs
2 tablespoons parsley chopped
2 tablespoons tarragon chopped
1 tablespoon shallot chopped
Salt, pepper
Preheat oven to 370 degrees and prepare baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
Season fish with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and place on parchment paper.
In a blender, combine bread crumbs, herbs, shallot, salt and pepper. Pulse until crumbs are very fine. Remove from blender and stir in lemon juice and olive oil. Using your hands, mold the herb mixture onto the top of each piece of fish, forming a 1/2 inch layer. (This layer keeps the fish moist and helps it cook evenly.) Roast the fish at 370 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until fish is just done.
Serve immediately. (And I served it with steamed red potatoes and a broccoli salad.)
No comments:
Post a Comment