Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Ranch is Closed

I wonder if they miss me. Or at least recognize that I'm gone, most likely for good. I wonder if they are whispering about our whereabouts up and down the River Walk.

I bet the squirrel lady, who so begrudgingly gave me the evil eye every morning as I counteracted her friendly feedings by spastic, yes I'm scared of squirrels, shewings, has one too many squirrels on her hand.

I'm afraid the dog walkers from thin to pudgy, old to young, grumpy to friendly, mute to gossipy will think that I've been injured and forced to give up my methodical, paced runs every morning.

I imagine the butchers at Casey's have assumed that the Bee finally got her way - that the clearly delineated orders of a porterhouse and a piece of salmon have gone to one side, making us migrate to Succulent Seafood.

I think Bud already misses talking to Peter and living vicariously through the aromas steaming out of our retro kitchen.

I bet the Trick or Treaters will worry, scoff and complain when the girl with the silver tray of full size Hershey bars doesn't come to the door this Halloween.

I can just see the Starbuck's employees speculating and brewing about their favorite regular deciding to cut loyalties and go to the new Caribou instead.

I think the Ushers in Church will be happy to have two extra seats for the standing room only crowd.

I can see the stock piles of Kim Crawford at Binny's waiting and waiting for the faithful fan who won't come.

And I wonder if there is talk around town about the sudden disappearance of the (relatively) young couple with too many hobbies.

Yes, I'm giving our impact on the Naperville community too much credit. Though we pounded its pavement, swam in its quarry, prayed at its church, and frequented its shops, our Naperville experience was largely defined by the Ranch. Which as of today, closed, and shifted from us to another owner.
IMG_5256
We turned over the key, the wall paper, the double showers, Grandma Barry's floor, the side yard and the chipmunks in the gutters to someone I only know by name. And further claimed our status as two-suitcase vagabonds, living in just about the most perfect little yellow room in La Grange Park.

Whether or not we made an impression on Naperville, I believe the Ranch will forever be changed. And I just have a few parting words to the house, to the memories it created and to its new home owners.

Ranchers - It may not seem like much. It may be just your investment property. But please feel the wall paper, do all the dishes by hand, bring good food and wine to the table every evening, play music loudly, dance, plant vegetables and flowers and watch them grow, give good morning and good night kisses to your special someone, and give the house all the love it deserves. It'll treat you very well in return. Just please, please don't tare it down.

To the Ranch. Thank you for being the best first home, sweet home ever.

Lo.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww - I loved my time at the Ranch. And so did one special pup. Can't wait to see the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already miss having you guys in the 'ville and of course, we will miss the Ranch! It gave you guys a great start and we had several wonderful, delicious/fun evenings there. Can't wait to share some memorable times in LaGrange. Please come back to visit us!:)Melissa and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both made it super special! We will definitely come visit in Naperville - there will be many, many more Meson Sabika nights!

    ReplyDelete