Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Homesick for the Burgh

As one of my pin boards suggests, I'm frequently homesick for the Burgh. After more than 25 years telling people that I'm from Pittsburgh, it's hard to answer, 'Chicago' when someone wants to know my whereabouts.

I get homesick for the old Pittsburgh - the special places around town that stir so many sweet memories. The Thunderbolt at Kennywood, the blue slide park, Walnut Street, Bucco's games, school picnics under the shelter at Schenley, the pool and tennis courts at the Pittsburgh Golf Club, Mass at Sacred Heart followed by Bach, Beethoven and Brunch, cookouts at my grandparents house in McMurray - burgers from the brick-oven grill that my grandpa built.

I also get homesick for the new, reinvented Pittsburgh - a city that continues to grow, innovate, and culture itself. I'm envious of my friends who are moving back to the city, taking one step closer to the dream houses that we picked out for ourselves in high school. I wish I could try all the new restaurants in town the weekend that they open with my family. I want to go to the lecture series, art openings, shows, and concerts that all seem a little more affordable than Chicago's versions. I want to run over the bridges, bike down the hills, kayak along the rivers, and ride up the Incline to watch the city's skyline gets more and more picturesque.
City of Bridges The City of Champions

Running 26 miles through Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago was great, but I was in and out in 24 hours. It wasn't enough. So I was so excited to return home again this past weekend - to spend a whole day Saturday soaking up the city with Peter. We saw the old, running through Squirrel Hill, Oakland and Shadyside. And by bike, we saw some of the new: Kassen and Chris's charming house, Showcase Barbecue and their Big Ben platter - two ribs and three wings - it was truly the hot spot of Homewood, the very hidden East End Brewery (our third brewery in three days) luring us in with their Growler Hours, and Adam, Laura, and Lyla's beautiful new house in the North Hills. Our little scavenger hunt around town was just what I needed.
one of the best breweries in pittsburgh.

Although back in Chicago now, three states away from my hometown, I've been able to keep a lot of Pittsburgh in my life. My license plate is wrapped with the Steelers, the Homestead Stacks are framed in my house, there's Heinz in the refrigerator and Heinz promotional materials outside of it, Andy Warhol hangs in the dining room, there are two terrible towels in the front hall closet, and all my favorite Pittsburgh memories are snipped, clipped and pasted in scrapbooks on the book shelves.

Occasionally, I'm able to put Pittsburgh on our plates as well. Like last night. We grilled out in the yard, and after some successful brick work earlier in the day, confidently planned where Peter could someday build our brick-oven grill. (The sooner the better - Peter's 15 year-old Weber has a major lilt)
IMG_6111 IMG_6115 IMG_6118 
We sipped East End Brewery's Blabber and Smoke Reichbier, imported by bike and car from Homewood to here, which paired very well with the barbecued chicken.
IMG_6121 
And we polished off just about half of the strawberry cake made with Simmon's Farm's best for dessert.
IMG_6122
Until I return home again, here's to all the displaced yinzers carrying their Pittsburgh pride into cities far and wide.

Lo.

2 comments:

  1. I want to go home to Pittsburgh also.... I am stuck working in Williamsburg VA... everything you posted makes me miss the Burgh. Thanks for all the pictures and the commentary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go home to Pittsburgh also.... I am stuck working in Williamsburg VA... everything you posted makes me miss the Burgh. Thanks for all the pictures and the commentary

    ReplyDelete