As we settled in for the afternoon, we started to meet our neighbors. To the left - New Yorkers. To our right - middle-aged men on their annual mancation. Behind us - season-ticket holding alums who have held their golden tickets for decades. And in front of us - a family of six, book-ended by a jovial mom and dad. However, the seat right in front of me was still open when the game started.
On perhaps the first down of the second series, a vocal 60-something woman laid claim to her spectacular seat. As she moseyed closer to seat 1, row 29, she yelled, 'Everyone up! We didn't beat Oklahoma because we sat down all game. EVERYBODY UP!'
No one stood up.
Someone said sit down.
I raised my arms in perplexity, and just started laughing. Was she seriously going to stand the whole game?
She continued her diatribe, coaxing the section to rise and cheer. But to no avail. The seasoned crowd of sitters remained glued to their number on their bench.
This whole scenario put me in an uncomfortable position. I couldn't see a thing. I didn't want to stand, because then I would be blocking the view for more people. So I ended up spending the majority of the first quarter straining my neck to peak around the woman, as the Fighting Irish and the Panthers moved up and down the field.
Then the 'best' seat in the house got even worse. My sister got tense. The New Yorkers joined her cause. The sedentary season ticket holders prepped their Irish tempers. And the campaign to tame the woman commenced. My sister reached over me and tapped her on the back, 'excuse me, Ma'am, please sit down. My sister is pregnant and can't stand the whole game.'
Oh geez. Really? Blame it on me?
The woman turned directly around to face me and scoffed, 'I was there in Oklahoma when we won. I stood the whole time, along with everyone else! That's how we win. Stand up!'
I shuttered in humiliation as the New Yorkers joined in, weaving a colorful tapestry of commentary about the woman and her need to stand.
She came back with an all too familiar rationale, 'I was at Oklahoma for the win. You weren't there.'
With that the whole section erupted.
'You had nothing to do with it!'
'Sit down you old bag.'
'You're f-ing selfish'
'You bitch'
'You're f-ing selfish.'
'Please, my oldest is 13 years old and we never use that kind of language.'
'STAND UP!'
'SIT DOWN!'
'STAND UP!'
'SIT DOWN!'
I honestly found the whole thing hysterical. And to my amazement, through all of that, the woman continued to stand, feat firmly planted on her piece of cement 29 rows above the fifty yard line, making everyone else with the best seat in the house want to move into the peanut gallery.
***
With Alabama's big loss and another good win, the Irish are closing in on #1.
Lo.
Italian Beef Sandwiches
Serves 4 with leftovers
(With the exception of a constant desire to carbo load, I haven't really had any cravings during my pregnancy, otherwise known as a steady weight gain. However, when I eat something that I really like, I really want to have it again soon. On Thursday night, on a buffet table at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Springfield, I discovered a crock pot full of Italian Beef, and proceeded to go to town on it. I knew then and there that a Casey's roast would be taking an 8-hour plunge in my Dutch oven on Saturday.
This is literally the easiest recipe I've made in a long time. And yes, I cheated and used a spice packet. But let me tell you, this meal is melt in your mouth delicious. Slow roasted beef on French rolls, stacked with gardinier and some melted provolone, served with a side of cole slaw and homemade applesauce is heavenly. )
2 pound round roast, cut in half (I trimmed some of the thicker pieces of fat too)
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
Louie's Italian Beef Seasoning (I used 2/3s of 1 packet)
Hot Gardinier
French rolls
Provolone cheese, sliced
Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven and brown roast on all sides. Add onions, pushing to the bottom and sauteing for 3-4 minutes. Add water and seasoning packet. Let simmer on low for 7-8 hours, until the beef shreds very easily.
After 7-8 hours, the liquid should be reduced significantly, shred the beef in the same pot, and stir to incorporate everything. Serve on toasted rolls, top with gardinier and provolone.
cannot wait to make this!!! looks delicious :)
ReplyDeleteIt is a great recipe - so satisfying : ) Enjoy!!
ReplyDelete