Folks, we are getting SO close.
SO uncomfortable.
SO anxious.
SO ready.
We're at 38.5 weeks and I'm told that any day now I could go into labor and into the hospital as Mary works her way out. At this final stage of pregnancy, it's all about getting ready for judgment day - those hours of pain in the hospital, which I know won't be pleasant. But I believe I have a great support network around me, ready to help me through it - a network that includes my doctors.
Over the past nine months, I've really come to like my OB group. There are six doctors in the practice, and I have seen all but one of them. For the majority of my pregnancy I saw the three senior physicians who have been bringing babies into this world for a combined 110 years or so. Each of them made the process less overwhelming, added his own sense of humor to our medical dialogues, and had an affinity for Notre Dame. Three winners.
For my most recent appointments though, I made an effort to see the women of the practice. I wanted to make sure I at least knew the face and manner of the doctor that could be in the room with me at the final hour. Not surprisingly, both were very thorough. In fact, I was a little taken aback by just how thorough Dr. R. was on Thursday afternoon.
Our post exam conversation went a little something like this ...
So, do you have any questions?
Am I just going to keep getting fatter until Mary arrives?
It's mostly water retention at this point. You will notice increased swelling.
My ankles already noticed it.
When do you think I will go into labor?
It's hard to say. But sometimes, some women build such a nice home for their babies that they don't want to come out.
(I knew she liked the morning runs!)
We generally let women go till 41 weeks. If they haven't made progress at that point, we will schedule an induction.
I read that inducing labor isn't ideal - that it's better for you and the baby to go into labor naturally. (Yes, you'd be proud - I've been reading.)
True. And there are ways that you can entice labor to start. Some of these are wives tales, but generally, they work. Let's see ... keep up the running and walking. Drink red raspberry leaf tea. Sex. And something else that can help is having diarrhea. The contractions of the bowels can spur on labor. Try White Castle. Lots of women have been having success with White Castle. Now, I'm not saying go to White Castle every day for the next two weeks - but give it a try.
(Mouth agape. My doctor is literally telling me go to White Castle to get diarrhea. Thank heavens she didn't tell me to try McDonald's.)
I nodded. Thanked her for her sage advice and got dressed.
Yesterday, I tried a couple of the tactics, but to no avail. It's still early after all, and I still have stuff to do: a couple more finishing touches to put on the nursery, a bag that needs to get packed, a few more chapters to read ...
And several more meals, just for two, to cook. Peter's birthday Clam Chowder, made by me, but under the guidance and coaching of my husband, was the best of this week.
When it comes to 40+ weeks though, for the first time in my life, you might just find me pulling out of the drive-thru with a bag of sliders and a milkshake in tow. And if the mission is a success, I plan to suggest a new marketing slogan to White Castle - 'medically proven to make little miracles happen for the past 92 years.'
Lo.
No comments:
Post a Comment