Yesterday, I attempted to swaddle myself in a ten foot black blanket
better known to clued-in mothers as a Moby Wrap. The goal, as the
picture described was to neatly tuck my baby away within the folds of a
massive piece of fabric, thereby freeing up my hands, relieving some of
the pressure from my back, soothing my tired, fussy infant, and (poof!)
turning me into the mega multitasking Mom that I long to be.
For
the first time in my life, I read instructions and proceeded to fold,
wrap, criss-cross, tie and tuck the black garb around my frame.
Confident in my handy work, I looked in the mirror to see how I had
done. Wow. Not what the picture looked like. (And I really need to run a
comb through my hair.) I gently inserted Mary into one of the crevices,
hoping that together in the hippie wrap, we would look like the
promotional materials.
Nope. Still awkward.
I walked around the house like a
marsupial for about fifteen minutes, but my inept Moby styling seemed to
be adding more pressure to my back and Mary didn't look all that
comfortable, so I unwrapped, called it a day, and turned to the mom duty
that I've become quite good at - feeding my baby while granting myself a
little guilty pleasure - likely the tenth or eleventh viewing of an
episode of Sex and the City.
Sitting there with my
hands full again, watching Carrie contemplate one of life's little
mysteries, I started to think about one of my own - that is, what kind
of Mom I will be.
Unable to create my own personal baby
bag, peacefully stare at my child for 45 minutes as she nurses, give up
artificial sweeteners, or live without my house being Pine Sol scented
clean, I've ruled out being an au naturale hippie Mom.
As
my sister commented on my choice of shoes - 'so do you only wear Toms
now?' - I ruled out being a designer Mom. Right now, my look includes a
make-up free palette, whatever jeans or stretchy pants fit, and the
shoes that are the closest to the door. For the past four weeks they've
been my Toms.
Just looking at all the intense
Pinterest projects and the time associated with doing them I'm steering
away from being a crafty Mom. And because the girls that I'm dying to
hang out with right now aren't moms, I'm guessing I won't end up being a
cliquey west suburban Mom.
Likely, I'll ultimately
embody a characteristic or two from each of these profiles: I'll keep
shopping, buying, and cooking organic as much as possible, I'll
eventually get back to my cocktail dresses and shoe boxes, I will pride
myself in the picture perfect lunches that I pack, and I might need a
local running or wine buddy soon. Then I'll probably add a couple
characteristics unique to my style of mothering, and I'll wrap them all
up into a slightly neurotic working Mom profile come July. As my friend
C. says, 'ta da!'
Whatever type of Mom I turn into
though, I'm certain that I will always be a Mom who needs help. And a
lot of it. This week alone, my sister came to town to lend a hand,
carrying, soothing, and playing with Mary for hours on end; Mimi came
over three different times to sit with Mary so I could just get out of
the house; and my husband - what can I say - I wouldn't be running
again, getting a little extra sleep, cooking, or finding a couple
minutes to relax each day without him.
BM - Before Mary, I was pretty sure that I could do it alone. But
I've got to say, without help, I would be a mess right now: a
sleep-deprived, ornery, hair-frazzled, cabin-fevered, starving,
struggling, stinky, scary Mom. And Mary wouldn't be nearly as content as
she is right now, snuggled up in my arms as we watch the rain come
down.
As we hit the four week mark, I'm raising my Sauvignon Blanc
glass to the village that has helped me raise Mary so far. And to
another kind of Mom that I have more respect for than ever - the single
Mom. How you do / did it, I have no idea, but I'm in awe.
Lo.
Love this blog! Mary is getting so big! I love all of your Mom descriptions - both my daughters wear Toms - only 1 is a mom....the other a nanny. Hope to see you soon. Vicky
ReplyDeleteI wish you were closer. I'd definitely be your wine buddy (never your running buddy). Miss you!
ReplyDeleteThanks Vicky! We need to make a field trip to the office soon!
ReplyDeleteCarrie, totally agree and miss you! You never know though - we may be in Boston someday : )