I used to have a particular hatred of these vehicles and their careless drivers, because as a runner I was pretty sure they'd one day run me over. But on Monday afternoon, I decided to cut them a bit of slack as I discovered the treasure that they were likely pursuing: their children.
As the clock inched closer to 5:00 PM each day this week, I started mentally mapping the shortest route between me and Mary. In seven minutes or less, she would be in my arms again. I couldn't wait. And I couldn't stand the slow moving Cadillac in front of me yesterday.
I'm not going to lie, the past three days were tough. I had to drink an extra glass of water a day to replenish the tears that I shed. They say nothing can prepare you for labor. True. But mother to mother, nothing, NOTHING could have prepared me for the pain of leaving my daughter with virtual strangers while she cried for me to stay.
I survived though. And so did Mary. In fact, by yesterday afternoon, I would say I was actually feeling pretty good. While my fourth of July look is less fresh than I would have hoped - the eyes still sting a bit - my working mom outlook is a lot brighter. Every mother is different and like I said nothing can prepare you, but for my friends who will be in the same boat soon, here are some things I learned:
- Everyone told me to take it one day at a time. I would edit that statement; take it one hour at a time.
- Tell your co-workers to treat you as if there was a death in your family. I felt like I was in mourning all week and was so grateful to the people who talked to me about other things besides the infant that I was missing; office gossip, office politics, the zit on your chin - all wonderful topics of conversation. Tell your coworkers never to ask, 'so how was it leaving your baby at day care?'
- Everyone advised me to make dinners and freeze them back in February - that we would need them when the baby arrived. Those dinners are finally coming in handy. Stock up now.
- Don't wear makeup to work.
- Put a pair of sun glasses in your desk drawer and pack some cucumber slices with your lunch.
- If you can, go back to work on a short week. Thank you, Fourth of July!
- Find a day care close to your office, not necessarily your house. Being able to visit over my lunch hour was invaluable.
- Come back to work when you know your devices are seriously outdated. Getting a new phone and a new computer in one week was pretty awesome.
- Hold off on introducing yourself to your new officer until you know your tear ducts are dry.
- Work for my company. Coming back to beautiful flowers and chocolates on my desk, compassionate colleagues who are lined up to hug you, a wall covered with photos of Mary, an early dismissal, a quiet mother's room where it's okay to shed a couple extra tears (and of course your milk), lunch dates, inspiring work assignments, and the best boss was invaluable. I love my McJob, my McFamily and the amazing support they offer working moms.
- When you get home hold your baby as tight as can be.
- And cherish every second of a day off.
Lo.
No comments:
Post a Comment