I can boast a good understanding of the game of football. I often call holding violations before the refs throw their flag. I'm able to find the open man before Brent Musburger breaks it down for the television audience. And I've been known to throw a mean spiral. But one thing has always perplexed me; why teams punt on 4th and 1. It's one little yard and nine times out of ten the team going for it, makes it. So why do coaches give up the drive and punt the ball?
Yesterday, I feel like I got the answer. That final yard is different than the previous nine. The defense comes on harder, the pressure is heavier, and the stakes are higher. It can be the longest, toughest yard of the game, so to play it safe, most teams just avoid it. The realization came to me as I was running my own fourth and one.
It's my fourth time down a 26.2 mile road, but my first time doing it as a mother. And it's a whole different ball game. Getting a good night's rest isn't possible, my stride isn't the same, my breathing is off, my pace is slower, and yes, my boobs continue to be a burden. Around mile 13 of 16 yesterday, I was about ready to punt. With each hot step of those final miles, I asked myself why I was doing this? I was already up - why should I keep driving?
The shirt I was wearing reminded me though. As a member of Team RMHC, I'm going the distance to support the more than 8,000 mothers who are staying at Ronald McDonald Houses this evening. They are there, watching over their babies as they fight illness or injury in the hospital. I'm running so if God forbid, Mary got sick - so sick that we had to travel to receive the best care for her - we would have a place to call home temporarily. I'm running so I could be there to hold her little hand, give her hugs and kisses, and help her fight.
It hurt a little more than usual, but I ended up converting yesterday. And we celebrated of course. With champagne, friends, and a whole lot of smoked protein.
It's been a tough call and a tough training season, but I have no doubt that I will be able to find a hole and push through the finish line on October 13 with more than 600 of my fellow Team RMHC runners.
Your support helping me get there, is always appreciated. Your support helps give children the best medicine of all - their families.
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/teamlo
Lo.
No comments:
Post a Comment