'Baby. Chickens.'
'Huh?'
'Baby. Chickens.'
'You're right! We saw chicks.'
'Sweeping.'
'Yes, they were sleeping, honey.'
I couldn't believe it. She had an unprompted five-day old memory. Honestly, I don't know why I was surprised. Of course, her mind has been busy collecting and storing memories for a while now, but I guess I didn't realize that life was making individual impressions on Mary, untracked by my archives.
As I look back on another wonderful year this evening, I'm realizing that the moments, vacations, celebrations, meals, and events that made 2014 so special for our family, might not touch on Mary's top ten. Surely, she would identify the beaches and pools; first steps and first words; Eva; and a week of back to back Christmas parties. But I think she also would have included our local library and parks. Play dates with Grant, Audrey and Lillian. Somersaults, hula hoops, chalk, bubbles, songs and dances with Eva. Trains. And planes. And bike rides. Chocolate and gold fishes. The Wheels on the Bus. Gia, Miranda, Corduroy, Goofy, and all her furry friends. Stories, bottles, and getting extra hours of TLC from Mommy and Daddy no matter what the hour of the day (or night.)
There is no doubt that Mary and her first memories defined much of our year. The past 12 months have been cuter and sweeter, but also more challenging and exhausting because of it. And while Mary's favorite moments are likely wrapped up as proof points in mine, here is the more traditional top ten of the year, in no particular order.
10. I do's said by four beautiful, blushing brides.
9. Pool days. Followed by ice cream treats.
8. The Atlantic.
7. The Pacific.
6. A new job. And lots of fast(er) food.
4. Christmas through the eyes of a toddler.
3. The arrival of Mary Poppins and all of her magic.
2. Mary walking, talking, making life more beautiful ...
1. And learning that she'll soon be a big sister.
I'm feeling nothing but blessed as I sign off for the last time in 2014. And I'm feeling ready for all that 2015 will bring.
Lo.



































No comments:
Post a Comment