I woke up this morning right around the time you were born two years ago. I had a lot of work to do to get ready for your birthday. After feeding Bobby and making your breakfast, I started frosting your chocolate cake and layering your strata; roasting potatoes and setting up the table. Why I thought hosting a Cinderella themed party at 10:00 AM was a good idea is beyond me? Luckily, the reinforcements started pouring in at 8:30. Nana, Opa, Aunt Dee Dee and of course Daddy all had jobs and they did them as swiftly as Cinderella's posse of mice.
At 9:50, I still hadn't showered. (Oops - didn't factor the whole getting ready thing in, I guess.) At 10:05, when the first guest arrived, I walked down the stairs with a wet head of hair and no make up. I guess someone had to play the part of the ugly step sister. Thankfully, everything was set up and ready to go though, and everyone seemed to have a great time, including you.
But as you were opening your presents, I realized that I forgot one very important thing - a birthday card. I hadn't written you a special message, and I felt bad. So without one of Hallmark's finest to write on, I'm using my blog ...
Mary, I love you more than words can say, but on your second birthday, today, I will try.
I love your little legs, especially when their wrapped up in tights.
I love your perfect little feet buckled into your party shoes.
I love your big blue eyes and beautiful blond hair, and how you pick the 'blue bow' every morning to hold it back.
I love the little space in between your two front teeth. And how you proudly show it off when you say, 'CHEEEEEESE!'
I love your inquisitive nature and your interest in fixing everything that is broken.
I love how you can build things with Legos that I can't even build.
I love your fear of ladybugs.
I love your voice especially when you use it to harmonize with me as we sing lullabies together at night.
I love all the funny ways you try to explain your life and all the fun that it holds.
I love when you tell Bobby, 'what's a matter?'
And better yet, when you tell him, 'I love you, Bobby.'
I love when you say the same thing about your Daddy and your Mommy. It just melts my heart.
I love how your eyes light up when I mention your grandparents. And Lyla.
I love reading to you.
Running with you.
Buying you mini donuts.
And watching you eat way too many of them.
I love swimming with you and biking with you.
I love dancing, drawing, and dining with you.
I love that you think the Notre Dame Leprechaun's name is Opa.
And that you can nearly say a Hail Mary and Our Father.
I even love your sporadic tantrums: the little tears that well up in your eye, the frustration that fills your voice, and the meltdown that ensues. I love being the one who can help you calm down.
I love seeing your smile when you wake up in the morning and feeling your head fall onto my shoulder as I put you to bed at night.
I love that you made me a Mom for the first time on a magical day two years ago. And today, on your special day, I wish you a lifetime filled with frosting, sprinkles, family, friends, party dresses and party shoes, and smiles that stretch from one ear to the other.
Happy birthday my little (terrific) two-year old. I love you.
Lo.
At 9:50, I still hadn't showered. (Oops - didn't factor the whole getting ready thing in, I guess.) At 10:05, when the first guest arrived, I walked down the stairs with a wet head of hair and no make up. I guess someone had to play the part of the ugly step sister. Thankfully, everything was set up and ready to go though, and everyone seemed to have a great time, including you.
But as you were opening your presents, I realized that I forgot one very important thing - a birthday card. I hadn't written you a special message, and I felt bad. So without one of Hallmark's finest to write on, I'm using my blog ...
Mary, I love you more than words can say, but on your second birthday, today, I will try.
I love your little legs, especially when their wrapped up in tights.
I love your perfect little feet buckled into your party shoes.
I love your big blue eyes and beautiful blond hair, and how you pick the 'blue bow' every morning to hold it back.
I love the little space in between your two front teeth. And how you proudly show it off when you say, 'CHEEEEEESE!'
I love your inquisitive nature and your interest in fixing everything that is broken.
I love how you can build things with Legos that I can't even build.
I love your fear of ladybugs.
I love your voice especially when you use it to harmonize with me as we sing lullabies together at night.
I love all the funny ways you try to explain your life and all the fun that it holds.
I love when you tell Bobby, 'what's a matter?'
And better yet, when you tell him, 'I love you, Bobby.'
I love when you say the same thing about your Daddy and your Mommy. It just melts my heart.
I love how your eyes light up when I mention your grandparents. And Lyla.
I love reading to you.
Running with you.
Buying you mini donuts.
And watching you eat way too many of them.
I love swimming with you and biking with you.
I love dancing, drawing, and dining with you.
I love that you think the Notre Dame Leprechaun's name is Opa.
And that you can nearly say a Hail Mary and Our Father.
I even love your sporadic tantrums: the little tears that well up in your eye, the frustration that fills your voice, and the meltdown that ensues. I love being the one who can help you calm down.
I love seeing your smile when you wake up in the morning and feeling your head fall onto my shoulder as I put you to bed at night.
I love that you made me a Mom for the first time on a magical day two years ago. And today, on your special day, I wish you a lifetime filled with frosting, sprinkles, family, friends, party dresses and party shoes, and smiles that stretch from one ear to the other.
Happy birthday my little (terrific) two-year old. I love you.
Lo.










































No comments:
Post a Comment