On Saturday, we hosted a little birthday party for Bobby. The activity / theme / thing you are supposed to do to hang a kid's party together was sled riding. Completely weather dependent, completely risky, no determined back up plan, totally my style.
Miraculously, all went as planned, perfectly disguising the fact that I had allocated so little time to executing the whole thing. We still had some snow, it was 40 degrees and sunny, everyone remembered to bring a sled, and most importantly the birthday boy was happy as can be, rolling around and savoring the last of the slushy white stuff.
For an hour or so, I ran up and down the small manufactured Midwestern sled hill, pulling kids whose smiles spread from rosy cheek to rosy cheek. When they'd had their fill, I welcomed them back to our house for pizza, cake, and the entertainment of watching an infectiously enthusiastic boy open several more vehicles to add to his ever expanding collection.
An excavator!! That's cool, huh?
Oooooh, look at this dozer, Daddy. That's cool, right?
Oh wow, a CAR WASH! Put it togeder, Daddy. Let's do it, Daddy. Now, Daddy! Pleeeeease, Daddy!
Yesterday, as Bobby officially turned three years old, he ran downstairs ready and raring to go as he always does. Only this morning, there was something even better to do. A new ramp stretched almost the whole length of the sun room and then climbed halfway up the window. His response: 'WHAT THE HECK?! .... WOW .... WHOA ... WOW ... Is this for me?!'
Yeah, honey. Daddy picked that out for you.
WOW. Let's do it, Mary!
At three years old, Bobby is such a happy little boy. He flocks to anything with a motor: cars, trucks, planes, trains, boats, and particularly construction vehicles. He is in constant motion, until he crashes (hard) at nap time or bed time. He adores his baby sister, and is simultaneously best friend and fierce foe to his big sister. He is almost too cute: with big blue eyes and a mischievous smile that makes you wonder (and pray) about what he's going to try next. And ever the chatterbox, he says something hysterical just about every day.
When he smells something a little off, he asks, 'hey, what's that smell look like?'
When he assesses the damage he's done to the potty, he often comments on his findings, 'oh there's a broder and sister poop.'
In the middle of the night, you can hear him talk through a nightmare, 'no Mary, don't do that, Mary!'
He constantly assures me, 'I gonna touch her face gently, Mama.'
He confides in me, 'that's dangerous, right Mama?'
He pleads to me, 'I wanna go to Mariano's and get a new car. Yes. Yes. Yes.'
No. no. no. Buddy.
And then there's everything else about him:
How he calls for his Mommy and Daddy during a thunderstorm, wanting nothing more than a good cuddle.
How he clings to his baby owl, daddy owl and beloved blue blanket.
How he likes to show off his muscles, and boy does he have them.
How he gives the best hugs ever.
How after he's tucked into his bed and all the lights are out, he walks back into the bathroom, turns on the light, and tells me that he needs to brush his teeth again.
How he's always thinking and trying an alternate, more challenging way.
How he's such a simple little guy. Generally, as long as he has enough milk in his cup and a couple cars and trucks in his hands, he's completely content.
How he loves life. Loves his family. Loves all that every day brings. Especially when that day is his birthday.
It's not everyday that I get to reflect on how special my big boy is, but today, it's all I wanted to do. Because just as the snow melted all too quickly on Saturday afternoon, I know Bobby will grow and melt away from me as well. So for now, I'm holding my big boy, my newly minted three year old, as close as I can.
I love you more than words can say, Bobby. And I hope three is your best year yet.
Mommy.








No comments:
Post a Comment