Wednesday, May 28, 2025

Not So Random Acts

I'm taking a new round of leadership assessments. In the past four years, I've taken three versions of similar tests, each one promising a more acute outcome, deeper self-awareness, and more targeted professional development plans. Ok. Let's go.  

I'm through 4 of 5 tests - the only remaining is an advanced matrix test. It's the one I know I will bomb. The first time I took this type of test I pretended I was in a Beautiful Mind and could see all the patterns, lighting up the room, my brilliance shining forth. I imagined wrong. And I'm pretty sure I didn't get the majority of it right. So, in fear of retribution, I will postpone that test until the morning.  

The other ones were easy. You just have to select your preferences, default leadership style, values and motives in random order over and over and over again. To the point where you start to question, am I really that competitive. Yes, yes, I am. 

But one series of question that kept coming up in test v4, had me pondering how anyone could answer anything but yes. The queries were around optimism and with it, your view of humanity. In essence, do you have a rosy outlook on the world and do you believe that the people in it are good? 

I answered yes. Over and over and over again. 

Yesterday evening, as I was checking into my hotel in Chicago, I confirmed that my answers to optimism and altruism were correct. 

I had gotten out of an Uber and walked into my hotel. I suddenly realized I didn't have my phone - it wasn't in my purse or backpack or my pockets. It was ... oh no ... oh no no no no no no ... gone. I have never lost a phone. It's gone. The Uber was gone. My iWatch wasn't connected. I can't get in touch with my Uber or my phone. My phone is silent, even if I had the hotel call Peter to call my phone, it won't ring. Oh no no no no. Answer #110 to my leadership questionnaire, am I calm? Yes. Yes, I am. So I proceeded. Willing myself to figure it out. I went to the front desk, started to check in. And then walked over to the window, as the Hyatt host typed in my name. I couldn't see anything on the street. I didn't drop it. But wait, the Uber was still there. Oh thank God. I needed to run down to ask him. I told the Hyatt host that I'd be right back, I needed to find my phone. 

She said, is this yours? 

Oh my gosh ... yes ... yes, it is. 

This guy brought it in ... the guy that rode up on the elevator with you. 

What? Oh my gosh ... I turned to the guy, thank you ...... no, THANK YOU! 

The guy looked disheveled. He smelled like marijuana. He might have been a homeless person. I didn't care, I walked up to him and gave him a big hug. He hugged me in return. It was the smelliest, but most satisfying hug. Embracing a complete stranger, who had done a not so random act of kindness was perhaps the most impactful gesture of appreciation and care I have felt in a while. 

In retrospect, I probably should have given him $20, but the thought didn't cross my mind at the time. Only the hug. 

The Hyatt host looked on almost lovingly. She said, we don't always see these kinds of kindness, but man, that was great. It was like she was watching a movie in slow mo. Leadership assessment questions #25. Did I ever want to be an actress? Yes, yes I did. 

So with that, and just about every person that I look a little deeper at in life, I see it. I do believe that our outlook is bright. I do believe that people are good. And I do believe if we all practice not so random acts of kindness, we have the power to make other people answer yes on their leadership assessments. To be the type of leaders that favor the collective over the individual. 

Lo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment