Friday, April 3, 2009

Running Against the Wind

The wind was steady and relentless all weekend long. When running on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, no matter which way I turned the wind was blowing directly against me. Down Twyckenham, Edison, Notre Dame Avenue, and all through campus I couldn't catch a break. The wind was determined to beat me down. To self-motivate, I continued to think back on the particular days of lacrosse practice, when the wind was horrible. When simultaneously it seemed physically impossible to go up field due to the South Bend weather, our coach yelled at us for not whole-heartedly finishing a play, my captain referred to me in jeering names like "Prudence," and my hunger from an unsatisfying lunch of salad kicked in, I found an inner drive to keep going. I thought, if I could continue and play hard then, I better be able to do it now. As I recall too, it was the hardest fights on the field that merited Coach Tracy's foot stopping excitement and her resounding, "yes ... Yes ... YES!" For me, this praise always made it worth it. 

On Sunday morning, before the rain came, I turned down Twyckenham, the home stretch, and the wind finally changed course, making my run a little easier. I felt the power of the mighty wind at my back, and my strides got faster and faster. When I reached the front door of my condo, I felt great. I had completed the challenge and at the end, when the hard fight was won, I ran with conviction, adrenaline, and a natural push. 

I feel the pressure of powerful, combative winds in the discernment and decision making a lot. It renders the right choice hard to make and defend at times. This Sunday was Palm Sunday and the start of Holy Week in the Catholic faith. Yesterday and throughout this week Catholics are asked to make those harder commitments to their faith - - the commitments that go against popular opinion. In Catholic tradition, when one fails to live as Christ taught, one goes with the crowd who crucified him during his Passion. This is not a lesson solely applicable to Christians. It is a universal truth that when we act unethically and immorally, we end up hurting pockets of humanity. When we act out of our own self-interest, we don't see the repercussions our decisions have on others. One of the professors that I had last quarter, focused a couple of his lectures on discernment. He expressed the challenge of it - - the time, concentration, silence, and self-resignation that it required. Once the right choice was clear, though it might be hard to depart from the majority, one has to commit to it. The commitment may be an uphill battle, but in the end one will have the backing of a more powerful force that will carry you through and ease your burden.

Today and throughout the week, I hope to make good decisions and live as unselfishly, compassionately, and humbly as possible. When I fail to respect and love others, I will reorient and try again. In your life, I hope the wind is at your back. However, if it is not, and you find the path burdensome and tiresome, keep going. Because on that final stretch home you will reap the rewards. If the path is filled with snow as it is today, bundle up and have faith that spring is right around the corner. 

Carpe Diem, 

Lo 

No comments:

Post a Comment