There are some women put on this Earth to humble you. No matter how amazing you look (or think you look) when you walk out the door, these women will always make you second guess yourself. They are the Natashas of Carrie Bradshaws world; the Sophia Vergara's of Julie's Bowen's world; and the sorority girls of my world. They are the perfectly coifed, manicured, dressed, and behaved princesses that tend to kill the confidence I've been trying to build over a lifetime.
They wake up with good hair.
They have sample size feet.
When their weight fluctuates, it's within a pound or two of their naturally slight frame.
They never go back for seconds.
They always cross their legs at the ankle.
And ... they never toot.
Then there are my aunts - Ten women who I swear were put on this Earth to tell me that those perfect girls are "un." They were put on this Earth to make sure their niece continued to be pumped up and proud of who she was. Since I was teething, they were always there with a compliment, a hug, a prayer, a "yeah!", an "aloha" or an "arriba!" They are ten blessings who encourage me to speak my mind, eat more, continue to buy shoes when I can't afford them, live an adventure everyday, celebrate the small stuff, cry when necessary, and drink as much champagne as possible.
My aunts range from crazy to conservative. Each has a unique personality and each has contributed to the depth and shape of my character. I wouldn't be the same Lo without them. So when someone referred to me as soon-to-be Aunt Lo during my soon-to-be sister-in-law's baby shower on Saturday, I realized that I had some big shoes to fill. I was soon going to have to be the best kind of Aunt to my baby niece that I could be - the kind of Aunt that I had ten times over.
Aunt Lo.
I'm going to be an Aunt ...
What kind of Aunt am I going to be?
The kind that always has the cutest miniature cookies in her freezer?
... that throws the best Notre Dame tailgates with the best pulled pork sandwiches?
... that regales her niece with beautiful jewelry and thoughtful cards?
... that lets her know what's "un" and not "un" - who's a loser and who's not?
... that calls her Senorita and teaches her romantic languages and the stories that go along with them?
... that is willing to spear flirtatious young man with an umbrella while calling herself Captain Ahab, all in a masterful attempt to let her know that she should wait for the older, more mature boy?
... that brings Italia to the family?
... that sings at her wedding someday?
... that tells her to follow her dreams and to live Aloha?
... that makes the most beautiful multi-layered cakes for each of her birthdays?
Okay, I'm never going to be as awesome as my Aunts. But the realization of becoming Aunt Lo is kind of like thinking about what kind of woman I want to be, and what kind of woman I want to help shape. Do I want to be the kind of Aunt that tells her niece to follow the norms - the prescriptions of what womanhood is all about? Or do I want to take what my Aunts taught me - lessons of independence, unconventional love, and rip-roaring laughter - and give them to my niece in my own special way? ... I'm vying for the second choice.
It's a tough era and world in which to raise a girl. And I know how many mean (and nice) girls are out there waiting for their next victim. But Baby Pink, you can rest assured that you will have an out-spoken Aunt - the next generation of a legacy of top-notch Aunts - who will always have your back, and tell you that there is nothing better than being you. Some days you might get a little Aunt Kay and others you'll get pure Aunt Ann. But I promise that Aunt Lo will always have good food ready for you when come over; she'll always let you go back for seconds (and eat off the serving dish); she'll send you hand written cards in the mail on a regular basis; And she'll always, always give you plenty of "YEAHS!" when those perfect girls are giving you doubts.
To Aunt Ann, Aunt Connie, Aunt Barb, Aunt Dee-Dee, Aunt Meg, Aunt Chrissy, Aunt Kay, Aunt Amy, Aunt Beth and Aunt Joyce - Thank you.
Lo.
Andale, Andale Arribaa!!!!
ReplyDeleteLauren -- in all sincerity -- run with this, take it, develop it -- this is the thing you need to build -- WRITE IT -- this is beautiful, honest, and me thinks you are a budding writer. Sit down, and write -- reward youself with shoes [and handbagss -- do not forget to coordinate and not MATCH!]
ReplyDeleteAll the best -- Jenifer