Monday, May 2, 2011

April Showers

April 30 - like day 27 in a month of downpours. Although we didn't have the tornadoes and flooding that ravaged other states, it seemed like Chicagoland was encased in a very big, wet, nimbostratus cloud for a month, and I feel like I was drenched, frizzy, wrinkled, soggy, mascara stained, and cold all month long.

On Saturday though the clouds parted, the sun came out, the temperatures rose, and I thought we were in the clear - here come the May Flowers - But there was still a downpour. It was a different kind of shower though - a dry one - one that rained down bath towels, cutlery, serving dishes, baking ware, and jello molds. My very own bridal shower.

Historically, I have not been a good shower participant. I've been late and I've been crabby. I've been an eye roller and I've refused to make ribbon bouquets. I remember being particularly ornery at my sister's shower as I won the crown for the worst maid of honor ever - I remember leaning over mid present-opening, and telling her, I never want a shower of my own. After giving me her signature disgusted glare, she stated in all her wisdom, "when it comes time, you will want a shower."

Well it has come time, and oh, did I want my own shower! And honestly all it took to change my opinion was a classy sales lady from Bloomingdales named Joy and a zapping gun. Those two were like my personal assistants in building a Christmas list on steroids. That list combined with a sister-in-law who made my party the vision of sugar-plum shower dreams, made me a convert - a lover of showers - a hopeful shower host in the future for one of my nieces.
But for the future bride and bridesmaid, from a previous shower sourpuss to you, here are just a few tips on getting through your showers with a big smile on your face. More or less this is my misguided guide to shower etiquette from a girl who doesn't seem to have the traditional bridal party DNA.

1. Wear a little dress with a lot of give - you might rip a less forgiving dress while you are ripping into the many wrapped gifts otherwise.
2. Make sure your family is there - because when no one else finds you funny, they will laugh at your awkwardness regardless. 
3. Get excited that you can have champagne in the middle of the day, but always stop at two. No one wants a drunk bride or bridesmaid at the party.

4. Focus more on the tea sandwiches than the scones and pastries - you have a dress to fit into remember.
5. When you meet someone, make sure you repeat their name. Perhaps even keep a description section on your guest list so you make sure you remember everyone at the wedding.

6. Part of your responsibilities include entertaining others I guess so don't be a silent bride, keep the rolling commentary going as you open each present. And again, make sure your family is close-by when you insert a comment like, "Did you know I was the Scrabble champion in 3rd grade?!" (they were good for a you-are-reallllly-awkward-laugh right then.)

7. Thank you. Say it. A lot. I still can't believe how spoiled I was on Saturday! 

8. Embrace the aftermath. Putting away, organizing, searching for a cache of jello recipes, and spending hours writing thank you notes can actually be very therapeutic.

9. Go ahead, cheat. Use the loot. I can't wait to make meatloaf in my new terrine tonight! ; )

10. Don't mess with your Mom's camera afterward, because you might accidentally ruin the memory card and not have any pictures to add to your blog. 

Thanks to everyone for making Saturday so special. And thank you May! No more showers - just flowers and couples engagement parties. It's a beautiful day and there's just about 4 months left till I get to report on the big story. So stay tuned ...

Lo.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a great shower. I've always been a bit of a shower-hater, too! But the gifts sure are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete