As a family we were always very good at geometry. Figuring out how to stuff five carry-on suitcases into Europe's version of a 'family-size car;' parsing out dinner on our plates using our own version of the food pyramid (the version where bread and grains got a lot more clout); and making sure every last Christmas card fit onto the massive bulletin board in the kitchen.
While the suitcase stuffing and plate filling were done well, where we truly excelled was in the Christmas card math. We would order and reorder them to get closer and closer to horror vacui perfection, maintaining the integrity of each card, all to create the ideal display from which to judge and rank them - One of our favorite Christmas activities. There was best picture card; Most classy; Funniest; Best corporate card; Best overall; Worst; and every other year or so, Worst Ever.
Ever since I was young, when I would run to the mail box after school to collect and open the ones that were addressed to 'Mr. and Mrs. and Family,' I have loved Christmas Cards. I love receiving them. I love sending them. I love the statement one of them makes about the person who chose or designed it. I love the little notes that are included. I love commenting on the awkward ones. And I still love ranking them.
There are only three days left till Christmas. And in terms of Christmas Cards, this is crunch time. This is the rush. When the two or three a day become ten or eleven. When the people to whom you sent a card realize that they forgot to include you on their list, so you get their B-List version. When you start to run out of room on your fridge or in your snowman card holder or in your Simon Pierce glass bowl.When you start to file and organize them, entering the best of the best into your own little contest.
I know the next couple of days will bring new entries, but so far, here are the standings ...
Best Picture Card
Most Classy
Most Exciting
Best Detail
Worst. (Okay, I didn't receive this, but when I saw it on Yahoo! News yesterday, I cringed.)
And best overall.
But this needs a little explanation. It wasn't so much the design, imagery or humor behind it. It was the timing - on the first night of Hanukkah. It was the delivery - a knock on the door, a truck driving away, the two people at the dinner table with mouthfuls of pasta both running to the door a la the delivery of the Christmas Story lamp. And it was the sentiment - the chance to shop at Dean and Deluca, the Figgy Pudding it might bring to the table, and the elegant dinner party that it will help make.
And then, there is ours. The best I've ever sent. And one that I'm hoping will rank highly in brother's and sister's own card contests. This year, instead of the usual fine art spin I take on the Christmas card - An Italian fresco depicting the nativity, an Andy Warhol Christmas shoe, Matisse's doves - I designed and sent my (our) very first photo card thanks to Purvis Photography and the best day ever.
The statement I wanted to convey. To Christmas. To 2011. To You. Wishing you the Best. Christmas. Ever. (And I coined that before Glee.)
Lo
I loved your card, and this entry. Thank you. Merry Christmas Lauren.
ReplyDelete