Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Brewer, The Baker, and The Mimosa Maker

Had I ever made it to the esteemed ranks of camp counselor, I imagine it would have been very hard to say, 'goodbye' to your campers, especially after a great session.

This evening, that's the way I feel - like I just said goodbye to my very favorite Session 1 camper. And it's a sad, can't wait till next year, keep in touch, long live the memories feeling.   

When we moved this spring, I could already sense it. There was something about living in our new neighborhood that made you feel like you were attending a never-ending session of summer camp. Perhaps it's all the kids or the fact that biking is the preferred mode of transportation. Perhaps it's the large number of parks and pick-up games per capita or the patriotic bunting on gingerbread-esque houses making every day seem like a holiday; Perhaps its the morning competitions along the high school track at sun up, evening competitions block against block at sun down, campfire songs played by garage bands at night, or day upon day lined with your choice of electives.

As a freshman camper, I signed up for the electives that I was already familiar with - running and biking in the morning; writing and fundraising during the day; cooking and gardening in the evening. 
IMG_6176
IMG_6175
And even though Peter and I are only signed up as big campers right now, I guess this weekend presented us the opportunity to be counselors in training - to invite our first summer camper into our cabin.

She came, trunk packed, ready for non-stop summer fun this weekend.
IMG_6157
First things first, as any good counselor would do, I gave her the lay of the land. A 13-mile bike ride through forest, hill and dale. These are the camp grounds - don't go beyond them without your counselor.

The first night brought a hearty dinner - Meatball sandwiches on Bee's baguettes - fuel for the activities ahead. In the evening, we cheered for Uncle Dan, who was doing quite well in the 5K evening competition, while sipping gimlets, the adult version of Canteen's infamous suicide. Campfire was at Bill and Megan's house. The skit where the senior counselors reenacted fast times in Fort Wayne was the best.
3da2ad10b19b11e1a9f71231382044a1_7

Saturday got off to a great start with a little morning competition - the semi-finals to camp's take on the U.S. Open. After a sweaty game, the standings were counselor - 1: camper - 0. There were running and reading electives, and then Saturday night brought a field trip to the big city. The tacos, tats, and Escondida's at Big Star seemed to trump the site and sounds of Conneaut. And Canteen last night was the best - Mario's Italian Ice.
Sunday didn't disappoint either. The finals of morning competition heated up around 9:00 AM. And in a surprising upset, the counselor in training won. We had Chapel or should I say, Church. Then an afternoon learning the ways of the brewer, the baker and the mimosa maker. Our homemade bialy and breakfast sausage brunch was fierce competition for Lake Donut's finest. 
IMG_6184
IMG_6168
IMG_6149
IMG_6166
IMG_6163
IMG_6161
IMG_6159
A little while ago, our camper packed her trunk up and I drove her to the airport. So she could fly back to the Burgh where her Mom and Dad would be waiting and excited to hear about all her adventures.

While it's tough to say goodbye to Session 1, like any good counselor, I'm looking forward to session 2. Ellen, you ready?

Lo.

No comments:

Post a Comment