When you get married, gain another family, move away from your hometown and the loved ones that live there, buy a new house, and finally, responsibly learn how to create and manage a budget, life seems to present more difficult, unexpected decisions.
It's small choices: sacrificing the Manolos, Millys, and $20 martinis for a furnished living room. And it's bigger choices, like the one I had to make this past weekend.
About a month ago, I received three invitations. One for a big 4-0, another for a big 6-0 and a third for a big 1 (no 0.) Of course, I thought we could do it all, as we've done with varying success in the past. I scoured travel sites, tried to rationalize $500 flights, figured if I flew to Pittsburgh Friday evening and back home Sunday morning, I could be at Lyla's birthday party on Saturday and a double header of surprise parties in Chicago on Sunday. However, in the end, I had to make an adult decision and tell my little niece that I couldn't be there to help her blow out the candles on her first, quite special birthday cake.
While it looked like there were enough Barry 'yeahs!' to drown out my absence, I felt bad that I couldn't be there - that I had missed her milestone and missed my chance to yell, 'surprise, I made it!'
On the other side of my decision though were two unforgettable celebrations: two parties, plus another on Saturday night. And I'm really glad I was there: first, to toast 40 amazing years of marriage and 60 memorable years of life, and second, to witness how the best kind of friends last a lifetime. How the ones that were there to wear bonnets at your wedding, put diapers on your kids, keep your secrets safe, and always treat you like a queen, will be there for a lifetime.
Sunday took Peter and I first to the Ava Room at the Public Hotel to celebrate Pam and Dan's 40th anniversary. A tres chic surprise.
Then to Peggy's 60th birthday party at Sharon and Tom's house. A very regal surprise.
Continuing on the theme of saying 'no' when you have to - perhaps it's not about doing it all, but doing all that you do, well. And I think I did up this weekend as best as I could, while making sure that Lyla's surprise ending is still to come.
Lo.
I want to know lyla's surprise and what talent of yours you leveraged! Beautiful pictures by the way. - cristine
ReplyDeleteSo much talent. It involved personalization. ; )
ReplyDelete