Because for some reason I felt like I hadn't done quite enough in one year, I had the urge to shift the pendulum at work recently.
Last year, a job that was calling my name came open. So I applied. I thought it was a long shot; a chance to polish my resume, practice interviewing again, accept rejection and move on. But about a month ago, I learned that my shot in the dark wasn't so dim. That in fact, I got the job. And my gut told me to go ahead and accept.
If there's such thing as my dream job, I've landed it. Theoretically I have found the perfect marriage of personal passion and business skill, managing menu development for one of the most iconic brands in the world. It's terribly exciting. And at the same time very frightening.
At the end of last week, overwhelmed and mind numb from information overload, I asked myself why I had taken on this challenge? I loved my old job. It was dreamy enough. And I was just getting comfortable balancing life as a working mom. Why was learning a new role in a new department; a new process with all new politics; a new culture with all new characters; and a new cupboard where they keep the forks and napkins a good idea? What is it that keeps pushing me to move ahead in the working world, when part of me still wants to stay home with Mary all day?
I think it's an addiction. At a very early age, I became a junkie, trying to saturate myself in accolades: counting up stickers from Mrs. Danchuck that said, 'Excellent,' commendations at Chapel, A papers from Dr. Free, goals and assists, bows, and times my parents told me, 'Good Job!' In typical Millennial fashion, it was the pat on the back from a job well done that out muscled internal satisfaction.
As my addiction ages, the stakes seem to get higher; the recognition needs to be louder and louder. So I find myself continuing to seek challenges that will deliver rewards that I haven't seen in the past.
Hearing that I got my new job was awesome - and as of day eight, I love it. But the best part about it, was the push it gave me to give something extra special to Mary. As I got a good job last week, I gave someone else one. We hired Ms. Poppins and judging by the smile I come home to everyday I'd say we made the best decision ever. Knowing that I am working hard so Mary can have a little more magic in her life is a bigger rush than I ever imagined.
Lo.
No comments:
Post a Comment