Earlier this week, in Rockford, Illinois I met George Washington. A friendly, African-American produce supplier who was going to help me show restaurant managers how to make our new product. We hit it off immediately. He had a great smile and fascinating career.
But the moment you hear someone say 'aht,' you lean in a little closer. What did you say?
Oh you take the tomatoes and onions aht ...
No. Way. Where are you from?
Oh Jeanette. Greensburg area. Pittsburgh.
I knew it. Me too!
The conversation stopped. Then escalated.
You're kidding. Where from?
Shadyside.
Oh I know Shadyside well.
Walnut Street. Little's shoes.
Ha! That was our shoe store growing up. We went there every year.
You know Buddy?
And that was our favorite shoe man.
When you meet someone from Pittsburgh, it's more than a geographic connection or a chance to play the name game; when you meet a fellow Yinzer, you share a unique language, history and family.
Your class picnics were at Kennywood, you went dahntahn on special occasions, you don't use cardinal directions to tell someone how to get to the Waterfront, and you rooted for Barry Bonds when he was thin and played at Three Rivers Stadium.
You've learned that the greatest people in American History are Roberto Clemente, Rachel Carson, Andy Warhol, Mr. Rodgers, Mean Joe Green, Andrew Carnegie, and Henry Clay Frick. And George Washington, because he visited Pittsburgh too.
You've explained that we're not a dirty steel town and we're not Philadelphia; in fact we're on the opposite side of the state. You've shared articles siting Pittsburgh as the place to be / dine / live, and you might even have my parents' coffee table book, 'Pittsburgh: the Paris of Appalachia" on display in your home.
Pittsburgh is one of those random cities on the map that a lot of people know nothing about. They have a distant cousin that lives there and he likes it. Or they've been to Cranberry on business and eaten at Panera and TGIFridays. (Not Pittsburgh.) But like any other girl who can easily slip into Yinzer twang, I have an inflated pride in my hometown. And I'm telling you it's one of the best cities in the country. My advice - book a long weekend in the heart of the Golden Triangle and get an itinerary from someone who lives there. (Or me.) You won't be disappointed.
Peter, Mary and I just landed in Pittsburgh's big, beautiful, always empty airport - and there's no place like home.
Lo.


So funny… I wonder if he was a student of my mother's. She taught at Jeannette for years. He may have been if he's anywhere from 20 to probably 45.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Could be!
ReplyDelete