Saturday, April 12, 2014

Tight

Yesterday morning, I had a hard time figuring out what to wear. The problem wasn't only that it was a jeans day (which always makes it twice as hard) or that at second, third and tenth glances, my closet looked tired, but that I was discriminating against reasonable ensembles with a filter that I had picked up recently.

This week, I attended a four-day course detailing every area of marketing, media, merchandising and more that my Company touches. While I learned a lot from the presenters, the bulk of my education came from the attendees - a group primarily made up of (early) 20-something agency girls.

We had specific direction to wear business casual attire all week, which I had been working on. While my tailored response to work ware would have made my old boss proud, I found myself very out of fashion. More precisely, I looked around and realized that I was one of a few women who could breath or bend over.

Tight is in. And for that matter so are tights, or leggings, or whatever you call the stretch pants that no one should ever constitute as business attire. Along with formal spandex, tight cocktail dresses, hosiery free legs, high, HIGH heels, and long blown out hair are all in. Paired with a tight jacket of course. We're not talking day to night ware here; the next stop wasn't going to be Happy Hour, these girls were dressed to go to the Club.

I feel like I'm being unfair though. Because for the record, I used to embrace tight too. I spent the better part of my twenties working out and dieting so if I had it, I was going to flaunt it. And yesterday morning, after seeing just how constricted the world was, I wanted to see if post-baby I could still pair tight on tight and get away with it. I didn't just want to work, I wanted to work it.

Several inappropriate attempts later I gave up and in to the flow of one of my favorite blouses and an unbuttoned blazer. It didn't just look better, it felt a whole lot better. I'm officially over tight and with it have some new guidelines that I'm hoping make their way into the working woman's newest ranks.

  1. If you have to pull it down all day, it's too short.   
  2. If you can't bend over to pick up the pen you dropped, it's too tight. 
  3. If you can't walk normally, they're too high.  
  4. And if your over-sized shirt doesn't clear your bum, change out of your leggings immediately.  

Life is tight enough. At work, at home and on the road, I think we all need as much wiggle room as we can get. There are far too many angles to capture.
IMG_8970
IMG_9040
IMG_9030
IMG_9020
IMG_9015
IMG_9069
IMG_9066
IMG_9062
IMG_9056
IMG_9047 
Cooking Out
Lo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment