They both lamented that they were a little baby crazy - they wanted an infant in their arms again. However, despite their urges, they were satisfied with their lot in life for one reason: sleep. There is nothing sweeter than a sound night of it; and there is nothing worse than not getting it. They were not doing sleeplessness again. Brian likened sleep deprivation to torture. And I've got to say, around weeks six and seven of being a mother of two and near zombie, I related. There were days when the only fussy baby in the house was me, and I hated it.
About a week ago though, I finally woke up on the right side of the bed. It was the day after we had the brilliant idea to use our Pack n Play as a crib. We had been debating buying another, because Mary wasn't making the move to her new bed soon enough. Just like that, everyone slept better. Than ironically, once Mary saw Bobby sleeping soundly in a crib, she decided she was too big for hers. So for the past four days, everyone's been sleeping in their own bed, in their own room, through the night. And I have never felt better. Easter Sunday came a little early in this household.
I feel like I've learned a lot along the way though. Raising two children so close in age is not easy and I know when a third comes along it's going to get even more challenging. But so I don't forget, here are the things I am recommending for myself and anyone else who is expecting another wee one under their roof in the near future:
- Get help. You will need it.
- A Pack n Play is basically the same thing as a crib. And it's okay to put your baby in it as soon as possible. I wish we hadn't waited till week eight.
- Start pumping right away so you can top off your baby at the end of the day. We started doing that recently and Bobby has been sleeping longer and longer.
- My brother introduced me to the concept of independent play. It's pretty self explanatory, but there are certain toys and activities that can give you enough time to take care of your other baby at the same time. Start practicing independent play with your kid before the baby arrives.
- Don't make it about his time and her time, make it about everyone's time. 'Do together' as Mary says.
- The iPad can be your best friend. Embrace it. Especially when you are trying to make dinner.
- Try to get rid of your older child's security things before or shortly after the baby arrives. We got rid of Mary's bottle recently, and she has never eaten better or acted more mature.
- Get back to the things you love to do ASAP. Getting outside and running each day was a saving grace when I wasn't sleeping.
- And schedule a date night even sooner.
- Take as many pictures as possible. I know my babies will be in college before I know it.
- You and your babies will sleep again. So go ahead, have another.
With that, we're packed up and heading to Pittsburgh to celebrate Easter. It's O'Hare versus this mother of two. Wish us luck.
Lo.














No comments:
Post a Comment