You've met many of the key players at this point.
Your Mommy and Daddy.


Your big brother and sister.
Four grandparents and two great grandmothers.
Even one of your aunts and uncles and a pair of cousins.
You probably picked up that we're loud. That things might get a little crowded and chaotic at times. That dinner is a very important decision in our household and cocktail hour starts anytime after 5:00. That we love each other and we are so in love with you. And that we are storytellers in our own right; comedians, musicians, dancers, and artists with a passion for the dramatic (or is that just your Mom?)
Regardless, after the more dramatic birth stories of your sister and brother, I was thinking your tale would rival theirs. But in essence, it was unnaturally uncomplicated. Short, sweet, pain and drama free. You've hardly even cried over the past day and a half. I'll give it some time, but in my initial diagnosis you have me wondering where are the dramatics?
Regardless, after the more dramatic birth stories of your sister and brother, I was thinking your tale would rival theirs. But in essence, it was unnaturally uncomplicated. Short, sweet, pain and drama free. You've hardly even cried over the past day and a half. I'll give it some time, but in my initial diagnosis you have me wondering where are the dramatics?
However, as a storyteller and in the tradition of what I wrote for Mary and Bobby when they were born, I will elaborate on your birth story with one of their and my favorite bedtimes stories.
Margaret.
Loosely adapted from Madeleine
In a white house in Mayberry
with boxes of red flowers.
Woke a family of four
At a very early hour.
Mom and Dad left home at half past six
On a chilly August day that Mommy had picked.
At half past six, with pants that didn't fit.
Mommy went to the hospital, nervous a bit.
To meet her youngest, named Margaret.
She was big, Mommy could tell.
Strong too, her kicks firmly felt.
Mommy was dilated to four
But she needed a little more
To get Margaret out the door.
So Mommy robed up and got into bed
Got fluids, medicine, and giant legs that turned dead
Dr. Lin kept me calm, Nurse Chris made me laugh.
I was thankful for everyone on the hospital's friendly staff.
A couple hours later, Nana and Opa came on down
Apparently Nana wanted to be here just as you crowned.
It was an easy, pain free labor. Completely drama free.
Then I pushed and pushed till dark hair we could see.
Daddy held one heavy leg, Nurse Chris held the other.
I pushed three more times, and you were cuddling on your mother.
I felt a little queezy, so I drank apple juice.
Five minutes later, I sent that juice loose.
Five minutes later, I sent that juice loose.
At 3:37 PM on August 4, you were born into this world.
7 pounds, 10 ounces and dark hair with a little swirl.
No scratches or scars
The easiest birth by far.
Just balloons, presents and flowers
The easiest birth by far.
Just balloons, presents and flowers
Sushi and champagne at dinner hour.
Mary wanted to hold you, Bobby played with trucks.
Bedtime came too soon, and Mommy said, 'aw shucks.'
Run off with Daddy, go home and get some sleep
I'll see you soon in the morning, so please don't weep.
They were a sad little crew.
They were a sad little crew.
Mary and Bobby cried, 'boo hoo'
But we want our Mommy too.
***
Now it's morning little Margaret.
And we welcome you home today.
Mary and Bobby love you.
Everyone will settle in okay.
I'm turning out the light.
And walking out the hospital door.
I'd say that's the end
But there's going to be a whole lot more.
I love you and feel so blessed.
Mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment