Thursday, December 19, 2019

Thankful for ...

In life, I'm generally running five minutes late to a meeting; an hour late to getting dinner on the table, two to three days late on a birthday card; and a month late writing a blog. Life is fast and furious and on a day to day basis, I have a hard time keeping up.

Even though we are nearing the end of the Christmas countdown, I'm still reflecting on Thanksgiving. This year, we didn't go around the table addressing the things we're thankful for. And in a way, I was relieved. I didn't have a thoughtful answer.

A month later, I do. And while no one is asking me to share, I will.

***

This past weekend, I should have stayed longer at our department holiday party on Friday. I should have gotten dressed in something other than sweat pants on Saturday. I should have gone to my girlfriends Christmas party on Saturday night. And then on Sunday, watched Christmas movies all day, in a glorious hung over stupor from the night before. At least that is what Instagram told me.

Instead, I spent my Saturday and Sunday trying to fend off the second coming of strep throat and dealt with the revenge of amoxicillin.

Let me explain. I had strep throat in October and all weekend it felt like it was coming back. Yesterday, I was diagnosed and got a Z pack to recover. Bobby and Margaret on the other hand had ear infections so both were on antibiotics. While Bobby was progressing nicely, Margaret was suffering from side effects. That is, lots and lots of poop.

On Friday night while watching Elf, she pooped in her pants. Then pooped on the floor while I was cleaning up. Lots of poop.

On Saturday, she was back in a diaper, with diaper cream, pooping the day away.

On Saturday night, we put her to bed, only for her to wake up twenty minutes later crying about a sore rear end. For two more hours, she cried and cried the same lament.

My bummy hurt. My bummy hurt. My bummy hurt. 

Over and over and over again.

She ended up in our bed, kicking, rolling around, crying, taking a turn sleeping on me, taking a turn sleeping on Peter, trying out her crib again, crying, pooping, getting changed, asking for her undies, asking for more cream, more cream, MORE CREAM - I WANT MORE CREAM, not sleeping, at all, all night long.

Through the night, I watched the neighbors host a late night party, Ubers arriving from both directions. I saw the same party end at 2:00 AM, Ubers departing from both directions. I dispensed Tylenol twice. I pleaded to her to just go to bed. I worried that she would poop in her undies on me for a good hour. And then I finally fell asleep at 3:00 AM, only to be woken again by an alarm clock saying 'my bummy hurts, my bummy hurts.' At 6:30 I got out of bed for the day. Saying that I woke up hardly fits, because that implies sleeping.

At Church, I prayed for one thing. A good night sleep. Both Peter and I had been deprived for too long.

Throughout the day, we both got short with the kids. We both seemed a little less enthusiastic with each other. And when Opa's brass band of grands came marching around the house blowing trombone, trumpets and a bugle to celebrate his birthday on Sunday evening, we put an end to the noise, noise, noise. Breath. Sleep is approaching.

On Sunday night, the kids were asleep by 7:30; I was out at 8:30. And miraculously, everyone slept silently through the night. Thank you, God. 5

Peter and I woke up different people. It was an amazing reunion; seeing each other with rested eyes makes all the difference.

So what I'm thankful for (a month late) ... besides the gift of family, being able to go home to the place where I grew up, stopping at Notre Dame on the way of course ...
Untitled
Untitled
my dad's turkey and stuffing ...
Untitled
first hair cuts ...
Untitled
friendships that don't age ...
Untitled
familiar faces at familiar places ...
Untitled
the chance to play some tennis ...
Untitled
laughs with loved ones ...
Untitled
and those moments when you just got to be alone ... Untitled
cousins and aunts and flag football games ...
Untitled
the joy my kids get out of coloring books and the relatives that gift them (thank you, Aunt Erin) ...
IMG_1707
those who bravely fight for our country ...
IMG_1711
and those that pray for them ... and set us up with Frozen 2 tickets ...
IMG_1723
for shopping trips with my mom, walks around the neighborhood, and talks around the dining room table ... besides all those things ...

I'm most thankful for the times when God knows I can't handle one more thing. When he answers my prayer to take something off my plate so I can thrive not survive as a Mom.

Being a parent is such hard work; especially at this time of year; especially when colds are going around and around. And I think there are a lot of couples out there at a breaking point on a weekly basis, likely derived from a lack of rest in their life. I firmly believe though, that keeping God in the center of a relationship, believing that he will ease the burden, trusting in his graces, is the secret to success.

Also ... I'm thankful for everyone who forgive my tardiness on a daily basis. The slack is appreciated.

Lo.

No comments:

Post a Comment