Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Sign That It's Right

One of my recently added responsibilities at work is to write the monthly external E-Newsletter as a piece of our strategy to engage the donor online. I work from an editorial calendar that we created as a team, then develop the content, compile photos and images that go along with the stories, work with a designer and HTML coder to solidify the creative approach, upload the targeted lists, and then with baited breath ... hope that I have reconciled all my mistakes - That I haven't missed an errant comma, misspelled name, or registration mark. I close my eyes ... and ... hit ... send. If I missed something, criticism, cranky Chapters, and crabbiness will ensue, so this is always one of those 'I really hope I didn't screw up' moments at work. 


To prevent mishaps I go through a series of steps with my team. And when push comes to shove, here's how I know the E-Newsletter is ready:  
  1. First, if I like the content that I have created and I want to show it off to other people, I know I'm at a really good point. 
  2. Then, I ask my managers to do a peer review. I distribute the content and ask their opinions on the stories, angles and language. 
  3. Third, I take it to the persnickety legal department to give me the nitty-gritty, risk averse review. Red flags can definitely emerge at this stage of the game, so it's a bit scary thinking that you might have to start all over. 
  4. Based on everyone's feedback, I make necessary adjustments and then give it to the team again, including the big boss for one last yea ... or nay.  
  5. Finally, It's up to me to publish it. I embrace the finished product with confidence and pride, upload the distribution lists and like I said, with baited breath, hit send. 
This process of taking a rough draft and transforming it into a polished, designed, finished product isn't so different from the process of moving from steady relationship to marital partnership. Basically, you believe you have created something great, you get all your key stakeholders to sign off, hope you haven't missed anything that could backfire, and then take that leap into the published, it's official stage of your life. 

This weekend I got to toast and roast the latest of my friends to take the leap into marriage. At a rustic cabin, in the sappy woods of New Hampshire, where I wasn't supposed to bring any fancy shoes, one of my best friends, Meredith, faced a panel of her closest friends on a memorable bachelorette weekend. Two days and two nights in Goffstown, New Hampshire marked the final sign off from her cohorts leading up to her big I Do-day.

Meredith, you have my final blessing - "go live!" I have to take you through the analogy though - can't resist - and I'm proud to have been there for her all along the way during her editorial phase.

Content development: First Meredith found a guy that was made her story the best thing ever.
Peer review: Then she became comfortable enough with her relationship to introduce him to the most bizarre inner circle of girls ever. We each gave her our two cents ... ummm ... he's awesome AND just as crazy as us!
Legal review: Then she went to the more persnickety and detail oriented approvers, the parents. D Si and Beebop couldn't find a red flag, no need to go back to start.
Designing and HTML coding: With perhaps some very minor edits, they were ready to code the relationship.
Pretend there's an engagement ring on that finger
Final approvals: A bachelorette party, which included death by Moosehead, belly aches by peanut M&Ms, fun and soreness from lake adventures, laughs from toasts and roasts, and venturing out 3-4 vodka cocktails deep in the very unexpected city of Manchester, marked the final sign-off. All the key stakeholders - family, friends, neighbors, and teammates said, "Girl, it's a go!"

Uploading the lists and hitting send ... the invitations are in the mail so stay tuned for October 16, 2010! So happy for you, Mere! And thank you for showing me the definition of soul mates.

And ... to a special few who have already made it official - A very happy anniversary to baby brother and big sister who 1 year and 3 years ago this weekend published their contents, and are still getting rave reviews.

Lo.




3 comments:

  1. awww - thanks for the shout-out. and what is up with that giant coat?? - love, big sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fun, I would totally have crashed that party and pretended I was someone's third cousin twice removed just to party with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie - thanks for reading!! Your blog has been an inspiration to me - love your sense of humor. Wish I could get away with the curse words, but the parents read it : ) Keep rocking those mini skirts - you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete