On Monday, an article about first time marathoners came across my desk. In anticipation of the Chicago Marathon on October 9, Crain’s Business Journal wrote about the training, injuries, tears and fears of a couple runners, gearing up for their first marathon. Each had their own reason for racing, each had a different take on training, but one sentiment seemed to resonate with all of them. That is, running a Marathon is a complete drain on your time. You are forced to push aside your social life, relaxing Saturday and Sunday mornings, that third glass of wine, your televiewing habits, etc, all so you can go that 26.2-mile distance.
As a second time marathoner – as an overconfident sophomore who believes I’ve got the next one is in the bag – I had to respond. Training consumes your life? Really? I’ve had a much difference experience.
I remember talking about Marathon recruitment back in November of last year at one of my full department meetings. I remember the team pressuring me to run again. I laughed it off and shook my head no (way!) I had a great excuse too – I was getting married next year, and I didn’t think my fiancĂ© would appreciate me training (and training and training) throughout our engagement, and especially during the wedding week and honeymoon, which just happened to be the week of the crucial 20-mile training run.
I don’t know if it was my legs, itching to do more than seven or eight miles, or my competitive spirit wanting to beat the first timer experience, or the desire to be part of a special team again, but in February, when registration opened I signed up. Despite the eye rolls and the “remember whens” from the guy in boat shoes who let the expletives that I uttered just a mile away from the finish line resurface, I couldn’t turn down the challenge.
My friend, Charles, Team manager and honorary spirit captain, told me something as I signed on the dotted line. That if I had too much to do, and this was just going to be burden on top of that, I shouldn’t do it. BUT if I was going to approach it as an accent – a way to relieve stress – and as an energizing element to my day-to-day life, then he would encourage my participation more than ever. I signed up under the latter pretences, and it was an excellent decision.
I have not given my life up to Marathon training. At most, I spend an hour during the weekdays running around (and spying on) Naperville. And on the weekends, I spend between two and three hours depending on the mileage. And if you run right, eat right, drink LOTS of water, and take lots of deep breaths along the course, you will find that the recovery is quick, and you need to not make sacrifice upon sacrifice.
Take this week. I did 20 miles last Saturday. And cumulatively, I’ve run about 21 in the last four days. I’ve also moved from my apartment into Peter’s house, gone out with friends, launched and rolled out (with success!) the Intranet site project that I’ve been managing, presented the state of our business at a two-day planning meeting, cooked dinner every night, colored, and flown and landed in Pittsburgh for the other thing that people also blame for taking up ALL of their time – the wedding.
My advice to getting it all done – Get a good night sleep. Run a little faster. Don’t think about the fatigue (or the weird indigestion you get when stress and hummus start reacting badly in your stomach.) And when you are doing one thing, concentrate on that one thing. As much as we all love to multitask, it can be completely counterproductive.
The one thing I’m concentrating on now – getting ready and getting married. But before the Bridal Luncheon, a little run.
Lo.
Thanks Lo. I needed this today. :)
ReplyDeleteHey Lo! Thank for you for the update!! I can't believe you're just hours away from being Mrs. Schultz! So proud of you and your successes! Fileshare is awesome, I can't believe how many people are registered and already utilizing the new features!! Remember like Laurel said, just relax and truely embrace the next few days. Don't ponder on anything else, except what is right in front of you! <3
ReplyDelete