First of all, when I started to work for my organization in the realm of digital media, marketing and communications, I had never heard of caches or cookies. And I definitely had never heard of clearing or erasing these items. The only Cache I could think of was the 40-something-female-targeted store in Monroeville Mall where my best friend, Nicole, surprisingly found her red strapless prom dress. And cookies were of course the delectable little piece of goodness that I too frequently over-consume.
After a month or so and 100s of "clearing your cache, erase your cookies" directions later, I gained familiarity with these terms and learned exactly what they meant and how to do them. In layman's terms, you are erasing your browsing history and starting with a clean slate. When you clear your cache and erase your cookies, your IP address is no longer imprinted throughout the virtual world, and you can make a fresh start without stigma, stereotype, or targeted social ad campaign.
At first, I hated doing this. I liked my digital past. I liked when my friendly Safari browser knew exactly where I was going to turn next and was equipped with the password to get me there. We were in sync - my keyboarding, his predictions. It was comfortable, familiar and safe. I hated losing our tried and true relationship even though we started to develop glitches here and there.
After clearing my cache though, I started to realize the benefit of a clean slate. The refreshed digital landscape was suddenly more vibrant, interactive and colorful. It was an all new environment to play in, and it was beautiful. No ghosts of campaigns past, just updated content and creative.
This week I was thinking about the "clear your cache" process and how it directly applies to my personal life. In essence, when I packed up and moved to Naperville, started a new job, and made a geographic commitment to the boyfriend, I was hitting refresh. I was clearing the cache of Pittsburgh where my friends, family and neighbors could predict my every move, and erasing the somewhat dysfunctional cookies associated with my post-collegiate years spent there. Being equipped with a clean browser this year has been enlightening, adventurous, and AMAZING.
| Chicago from the boat |
| St. Edmund's Academy ... our alma mater true! |
![]() |
| Calvary Camp Staff, 1997 |
After sitting on this thought for a week, I came to the conclusion that your past is just as important as your future; that communicating your past in a new relationship is essential; and that you are still going to run into glitches with a refreshed browser after a couple campaigns or milestones.
Clearing your cache and erasing your cookies might be the only solution on your computer, and for some it seems like a great alternative to cure a misguided personal life. But I believe if you're going to hit refresh, you should still keep your cache close-by. Those memories make up a large part of who you are, and communicating the laughter and love associated with them to your significant other, will enrich your bond.
At the same time though, I have learned that you can't live in the past - that the moments you share now will bring the same gut-wrenching laughter in five years that you experience when you reminisce about your childhood. And the memories you've yet to make will offer all new landscapes of wonder and excitement.
| So ... Here's to walks down memory lane. |
| And a future where you don't need any roads! |
Lo.

Where do you get these pictures of camp?? Do you have them out in the Ville? - Big Sis
ReplyDeleteThere is a Calvary Camp website and fanpage : )
ReplyDelete