Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Dress Rehearsal

Before the lights come up; before you quell the stage fright and spit out your first line; before the tears, laughter, and thunderous applause from the audience, comes the dress rehearsal. That ever important part of making sure that the production goes as close to flawlessly as possible.

I have been through many, MANY dress rehearsals in the past: From long, hot dance recital ones at Chatham College's Chapel, to Charlie Appel and Charles Altman school play ones at St. Edmund's and Ellis. From Glee Club concert dress rehearsals at Heinz Chapel to piano recital dress rehearsals at the Jewish Community Center. From walk-throughs the morning before the big game to final run-throughs of the presentation for the Board, I am versed in the art of the perfect dress rehearsal.

I know how to dress as closely as possible without spoiling the finishing touch. I know how moving from practice to final, full hair and make-up makes the execution of each scene just a little more real. I know how the lines that you've been saying over and over again, all of a sudden take on a new meaning and you say them with a little more oomph and gusto. I know how dress rehearsals make you stand up a little straighter and smile a little bigger. And I know how they start to shake your core with jitters you haven't felt since the last play .

I also know you should have a supporter in the audience. And I always had a special friend or family member, usually someone who couldn't make the final production at my dress rehearsals. Sometimes it was Grandma or Grandpa, sometimes it was Mom or Dad, sometimes it was Patty or Debbie, and once it was even Aunt Ann and Uncle Dick. It was just nice to know that my fans took the dress rehearsal as seriously as I did and that I would have practice applause to go along with the practice curtain call.

Last night, I added another dress rehearsal to my portfolio. And I've got to say, it was just about the best rehearsal yet. The chemistry with my leading man, was better than it had ever been. My costume - a pearl, off the shoulder dress, Kate Spade pumps, BIG hair, and full make-up looked awesome.
My lines - short, simple, sweet - "I have" - "I will" - "I do" were executed without error.
Like rehearsals past, I did get a little more nervous, the final production became a little more real, and I hammed it up the best I could. But unlike rehearsals past, it wasn't just a friend or family member cheering me on, it was a crowd of supporters that was a hundred fold. And it was so special.

It was a beautiful, memory-making night at Sacred Heart and the Phipps Conservatory, and I can't thank my family and friends enough for being there to shower Peter and I with their support. I don't have the pictures to share yet, but they will be up soon enough.

And although, I know it's supposed to be a surprise, I'll give you a teaser of the big unveil - the climax of the show. It ends in a kiss. And at the dress rehearsal, it looked really good.
Lo.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Wedding Day!! Wishing you and Peter a lifetime of love, happiness an some cute babies!!!
    All the best!
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS Genevieve! Will post again from France! : )

    ReplyDelete