We were asking people to take photos of us left and right last night - who wouldn't? The sun was setting, we had beautiful cocktail after beautiful cocktail, we were dressed up, and we were at a pretty magical place. Each photographer asked, and what brings you here, as if he or she already knew.
It's our honeymoon. We just got married.
They would reply, I knew it! They just have that look - you know?
That look last night was somewhere in between delirium and pure delight, but I guess it looked good. And it was made possible by a serious (I now have towels creases all over my face) cat nap at the pool in the afternoon, followed by a rejuvinating jog on the treadmill, then the popping of some comped champagne.
Earlier in the never-ending day/night/whatever you call the hours on the plane, we never got asked if it was our honeymoon. We didn't have the look I guess. In fact, looking at us, you might have only seen me, because Peter was entirely covered in a red blanket for most of the time.
We boarded the plane from Pittburgh to Paris at 6:00 PM on Sunday and found our 35 B and C seats next to a friendly Texan and the bathroom.
Optimistic about our destination and high on the wedding weekend, we didn't over analyze our positioning, settled in and concentrated on preparing for our six-hour nap. A couple hours into it though, post delayed plane food service, the bathroom line became quite a grievance, the Texan went from friendly, to the heaviest mouth breather and most annoying sniffler on the planet, and the Euros on the plane went from stinky to stanky. All of this lead Peter to drape a red blanket over his head and body, while I fell victim to a right leg that perpetually kept falling asleep, waking up, cramping, and then doing it all over again. People kept mistaking Peter's red blob form for a leaning post next to the bathroom, and each time someone put their hands on Peter's head, he would take off the blanket wrap and give them a look that crossed all language barriers. Our combined look was not so hot as we made our final descent into Paris.
After a coffee and a croisant in Charles de Gaule, we started to get that honeymooner look back I guess, and by the time we hit the Budget counter in Nice, we apparently had it as they upgraded our standard Renault to a Beemer.
We hit Monte Carlo around 1:30 PM France time on Monday. We spent the afternoon on the rooftop pool, the evening at one of the most beautiful restaurants I've ever been to, and the night walking around Monte Carlo. Dressed in, what else, but the color of money, we struck many poses and I pretended I was in a movie a couple times. Amazed at the beauty and bounty that continues to come our way, our big smiles said it all - we were very happy honeymooners.
Lo.
PS - Peter and I will be Fairmont loyalists for the rest of our lives. The Tattinger champagne in our room was over the top!
Peter has bad luck w/ trans-oceanic flights. I remember a similar, blanketed approach on our way back from HI. "And what was with all the farting!?!?!"
ReplyDeleteI love the Fairmont in Monte Carlo. Last time I was there, I dragged a sport coat around in my bag for two weeks specifically for Monte Carlo and the casinos. However, after a six-hour, non-air conditioned train ride in a compartment with my friend, an Italian lady, and her four young, restless kids, all I wanted to do was get in the pool. That pool is awesome. After the pool, I took a "nap" that ended up being ten hours, woke up the next morning and left Monte Carlo without ever donning the sport coat.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I think you two have always had "the honeymoon look." You both are always happiest when you're around each other.
Dan - thanks for the great comment. I read it to Peter last night : ) Funny story too. Although I made Peter wear a jacket both nights. He said he's getting more excited about dressing up now. Ha!
ReplyDelete@Anon - yes, I think the germ fear / close proximity to everyone else thing makes transoceanic flights a big problem for Peter. Ha!